Looking for advice during my progress; 3.48 GPA, 3.68 sGPA, >30 MCAT

Hey guys, I am on the right track with my schooling and confident, but I was just hoping for some outside point of views on my progress and plans for finishing up to see if I am missing anything. Constructive criticism is welcomed and appreciated…

Quick over-view:

Within my first two years as an undergraduate – about 5 years ago–, I worked full time and didn’t know what I wanted to do/be. I didn’t try at all and received 3 F’s, 1 D and 2 W’s. (DON’T LET THIS STOP YOU FROM FINISHING!!)

1 year ago, I became a hardcore pre-med student. Since then, I have quit working to become a full-time student, retaken all F’s and made A’s, as well as made no less than A’s in EVERY class I have taken since then; this has risen my GPA from 2.4 to a 3.0 in that one year (not only have I made all A’s in my classes, but I have had the highest grade in every class that I have taken).

Because I started last year with about 60 hours under my belt at a 2.4, I am now having to double major to bring my GPA up to be in medical school range.

Major/GPA:

I am double majoring in Biology with a cellular and molecular concentration and in Chemistry with a Biochemistry concentration. By double majoring and continuing making all A’s from here on out (which I know I am very capable of doing), the highest my GPA will be able to get is:

AMCAS GPA: 3.48 - 3.49 (depending how close my calculations are)

BCPM (sGPA) GPA: 3.68

MCAT:

I am confident about the MCAT (which I am starting to study for in May) and am shooting for no less than a 30.

EC’s/LORs/Experience:

I worked in healthcare administration for 5 years prior to starting school back, with specific experience in clinical settings. I was the medical supplies/equipment supervisor for 100 clinics (with other misc. experience in billing, patient care, compliance, etc). Working in healthcare led me to make great connections with the physicians at the local (state) medical school, including the director of the gen. surgery residency program. These same connections have gotten me a meeting with our asst. dean of admissions and will provide me with great LOR’s.

I am currently tutoring for free at my school in the areas of general chemistry, general physics and trigonometry. I am lined up to start “anti-cancer” research with one of our professors here next semester and hope to present at our research symposium before my undergrad time is done.

I have played guitar in many church bands, come out with a CD and have participated in a TON of missionary/volunteer work around the country. I also taught kickboxing and martial arts for several years.

I am married, have a stepson and own a home.

I know that a 3.48 (or 3.49) is a tad below the low-end of medical school admissions, but I feel that they will see that fact that I will have a 4.0 GPA from the time I decided I wanted to go to medical school (which includes all tough courses such as physics, organic, biochem, etc.), took on two undergraduate degrees and I am hoping an MCAT score of 30 (or more) will off-set that GPA by just enough.

My immediate concerns/questions are:

Because of the above issues, are there any other areas I should be exploring and doing to make my application more presentable? I believe outside POV’s are vital in this situation to see if there is something I am missing and/or could do differently.

Since I am double majoring now to bring my GPA up as much as possible, my graduation in both will not be for another 2 years. With this in mind, I will be done with my MCAT soon and if I were to get my score of 30 or higher, would you advise starting to apply once my GPA has reached a certain point (3.25, 3.3, etc)? And then continue to apply each possible year until I graduate to try my luck or just not waste my time and wait to apply until I am graduated?

Peace and thank you!

Hey Surgeon,

Old GPA, nothing you can do about it so focus on doing well in the rest of your classes and the upward trend will be significant. Med schools will consider the upward trend as long as you maintain it. The fact you are taking a full-time course load is positive.

Due to a lower GPA, having a higher MCAT score will be very beneficial. Take it when you feel you’re most ready.

Your EC’s look good. Consider some volunteering in health care where you get patient contact. Med schools like to see patient contact and that will give you some good stories to discuss/reflect in your secondaries. Shadow some docs, too.

As far as applying more than once, if you have a lot of money and like torturing yourself, then go for it. Otherwise, as a current applicant, I say only apply when your app is the strongest and you’re ready. I recommend not rushing any part of the application process.

Where do you want to apply? If you are willing to go anywhere in the country, you do not need a double major and you should finish your degree as soon as possible. I got into medical school with a 3.2 total with 3.8 post bacc premed and a 2.9 undergrad and a 29 MCAT. I was told by 2 programs that 3.0 is the lowest they take for all classes. More competitive programs are looking for >3.5 Medical schools do not like to see people that start things and don’t complete them so only apply near the end of what ever program you apply.

Where did you get in, if you don’t mind me asking? And do you foresee ant significant issues w/getting into a good residency, as long as you are In the top 10% in your class?

Where did you get in, if you don’t mind me asking? And do you foresee ant significant issues w/getting into a good residency, as long as you are In the top 10% in your class?

Chief52 -

Top 10% of my class?? Geez!!! I’m just planning to be in the top third of my class…of course, as I am planning on a family practice residency, I feel that will be enough to get a great residency (or, A residency

Kate

• Chief52 Said:
Where did you get in, if you don't mind me asking? And do you foresee ant significant issues w/getting into a good residency, as long as you are In the top 10% in your class?

Pre-med school stuff (GPA, MCAT) has little to nothing to do with where you get into residency at. Where you go to school, grades in med school (particularly in Med 3, less so overall "rank"), Step 1 scores and letters of recommendation have FAR more to do with where you will get into residency than anything else.

Kate,

I certainly concur w/your response. My question intended to determine how important (high vs. Low) the reputation/ranking (1st tier, 2nd tier, etc…) of the institution you attend and how well you do there, influence/play a part in what residency you match into. From your experience, aside from your scores and LORs and perhaps your med school’s rep & how well you do, what else if anything plays a significant part in the residency matching process?

Actually doing a rotation there 3rd or 4th year and doing well in it.

That’s really important. Residency programs are reluctant to fill slots with applicants they have not seen, no matter how good they look on paper. Thus, the importance of “audition” rotations in your 4th year. Try to get your foot in the door of as many programs you are interested in as possible. Then excel - show a good attitude, read about the patients you are scheduled to see the next day, “prep” ahead of time.

Check out Gabe’s presentation from the conference this year.

Kate