LOR

When is the best time to have the LORs sent in to the schools you applied to?
I have two: one from a DO friend, and one from the premed committee.
I figure I could wait until the schools ask for them in the secondary, or have them sent out now, which is what I want to do. Is there any holes I don’t see that could slip me up if I proceed to send them out now?
thanks

contact the schools you're applying to and ask THEM what they prefer. at that time you'll also want to ascertain any other requirements regarding these LORs.

In general, don’t send until they ask. They’ll just get thrown away if you send them before they have a file made for you. Also, you’ll piss them off for not doing what you’re supposed to do, which is wait until receiving further instructions. Maybe there’s some exceptions at some schools but most are very explicit and firm about this. And basically unless they want a secondary from you there’s no point to having the letter sent anyway. Sorry. “The waaaaaiiiting, is the hardest part.” -T. Petty.
–joe

QUOTE (joewright @ Jun 8 2003, 04:36 PM)
In general, don't send until they ask. They'll just get thrown away if you send them before they have a file made for you. Also, you'll piss them off for not doing what you're supposed to do, which is wait until receiving further instructions. Maybe there's some exceptions at some schools but most are very explicit and firm about this. And basically unless they want a secondary from you there's no point to having the letter sent anyway. Sorry. "The waaaaaiiiting, is the hardest part." -T. Petty.
--joe

Joe's Wright (pun intended)...Wait until you get the secondary applications and follow their instructions for submitting rec letters. Schools do not usually like to get over-the-transom (unrequested) rec letters.
Cheers,
Judy

Okay, need some advice.
I've started to receive my secondary applications, so the LORs should follow soon. However, my premed advisor wants a list of all the schools that I applied to, and he will then send the LOR off to the lot. He is not planning to send them off one at a time. I have the feeling the LOR from my DO wants to do the same. This must be something that they are used to doing - how do I handle this?

BACMEDIC,
That's exactly how my the pre-med committee at the school I did my post-bacc at did things. It worked out fine. Now that you've submitted your AMCAS (or other version of it for DO or TX), the schools will be expecting those letters. Just make sure that you check with the schools individually after you return you secondary that they have received your letters. I assumed (incorrectly) that since I received the post-cards from the school saying that they had received my letter that all of the schools had received it. Not true. One of the schools managed to lose it but they understood and contacted my program director and had it resent. But this pushed my interview into December at that school because they didn't offer an interview until they had the letter.
Now that I've rambled, my point is that for the six schools that I applied to, having the committee send out its letter in one lump didn't matter. Once they started sending out secondaries in the summer, the expected the letters to come rolling in.
Hope this helps,
Tara