Loss of my best friend

I know many of you won’t understand when I say I just lost my best friend. But Trumpet, my 15 1/2 year old schnauzer was just that. And we had to have him put to sleep tonight after he suffered multiple seizures and couldn’t even get up to walk. Add to that a grade 6/6 heart murmur and cancer, I guess we were lucky to have had him as long as we did. But I will always have a hole in my heart when it comes to Trump.
This comes at the end of a very long day. Zane had surgery this morning. He is home and doing fine. But to have to put our baby to sleep tonight was one of the most difficult decisions I’ve ever had to make.
Anyway. I know he is in a better place now. No more pain and suffering. And he can run and play with the dogs we had before. And, I really believe he will be there when my time comes.
For now, I’m just going to try to think about all the good times we had and remember him for the great friend that he was.

Quote:

I know many of you won’t understand when I say I just lost my best friend. But Trumpet, my 15 1/2 year old schnauzer was just that. And we had to have him put to sleep tonight after he suffered multiple seizures and couldn’t even get up to walk. Add to that a grade 6/6 heart murmur and cancer, I guess we were lucky to have had him as long as we did. But I will always have a hole in my heart when it comes to Trump.
This comes at the end of a very long day. Zane had surgery this morning. He is home and doing fine. But to have to put our baby to sleep tonight was one of the most difficult decisions I’ve ever had to make.
Anyway. I know he is in a better place now. No more pain and suffering. And he can run and play with the dogs we had before. And, I really believe he will be there when my time comes.
For now, I’m just going to try to think about all the good times we had and remember him for the great friend that he was.

Linda,
Losing a beloved pet is just like losing a member of your family, sometimes even more so! Nothing I can say will make you feel better but just know that you and Zane are in my thoughts and prayers. Please feel free to call if you need anything.
Geoff

Oh, sweetie, I’m so very sorry. I do understand. Someone who’s been in your family so long and been with you through thick and thin would HAVE to mean a lot to you.

Linda,
I know how it feels to loose a pet/ or rather the pet. As you said, now he is in a better place…
I only said ‘good bye’ to one pet before, and I swore that I’d never have a dog again, because it just hurts too much when they’re gone…and they live so short (in comparison with us)…but the sorrow lasts only until you convince yourself to getting a new one…
I hope you feel better soon.

Linda,
My heart is with you as you mourn the loss of your best friend.
Anita

I’m so sorry. I’m not a fuzzy pet person, just snakes & frogs. Oddly enough when my snake died, it was like experiencing my Dad’s death all over again.
My mom once had to put her dog down on Thanksgiving day. I wish I had been able to understand more what she was going through at that time. I just didn’t get it.
Barb

I had a cat Baby, that I got when I was in Kindergarten. She remained in my parents home after I went off to college. She lived the longest life I’ve ever seen a cat live, but in the end she was blind, deaf, couldn’t control her bowels, and had severe arthritis. I was suprised she never developed cancer. On my 28th birthday my parents had to put her to sleep because she could no longer get off the couch to eat or go potty. It was such a sad day for me. She lived to be 23 years old, and the best kitty ever.
Now I have Pete…

Attached files

Linda -
I truly understand what you are going through. I had to put my 12 year old baby, Midnight to sleep a little over a month ago. It was very difficult. She became ill while we were on vacation and wasn’t able to get up on her own. After a few days of IV fluid and antibiotics, she didn’t seem to be making any improvement and the vet suggested it was time. I still feel tremendously guilty because she became ill while we were gone. It was also tough, because I had her put down on Friday and then we moved the following Tuesday. Just writing this post is making me cry.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Amy

Linda, I am fighting back the tears as I write. Not to put down other breeds, but unless someone has actually owned a schnauzer, I don’t think they can completely understand what you are going through. I have had countless dogs throughout my life, but never experienced the level of love I have for my 2 year old mini - Izzy. There is definitely something extra special about a schnauzer. My wife and I are constantly asking “What would we do without her?” We also talk about how we’ve only got about 13 years left to love her. I can hardly bear thinking about it.
I am truly sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Linda & Zane,
Wendy & I are very sorry for your loss. We understand fully as we had to have Satchmo put to sleep just over 2mos ago. We had him for almost 12 years. He suffered an acute airway obstruction…I held him & told him how much we loved him & will miss him as he went to sleep. I still get glassy-eyed when I drive by the vets…and I am getting glassy-eyed right now just thinking about him.
We will always miss our friend…just as you pointed out, our 4-legged buddies become more than companions, they are members of our family.
Again, we are very sorrowful for your loss.