Low GPA Allopathic Success Story

It definitely helps to hear/read success stories like this. At the ripe old age of 27, I have an undergrad GPA that is a little lower than yours, and am looking at at least two years of pre-reqs and post-bacc courses on top of MCAT prep. I got a little discouraged today, but reading this is helping me to get over it.

I just posted my story and stumbled upon yours after posting. This is really inspirational for me since its hard to keep persisting at times. Thanks so much for posting. And as for being a person of prayer as well it is funny how God works. I myself ran and ran countless times when my GPA dropped but no matter what I feel like he always calls me back. At then end of the day I always say, “Let His will be done.” Congratulations on your success and hopefully in a few years I will be able to share a similar story and give inspirations to others as well!

I’ve got to say, you just built me back up again. I am slogging my way through Calculus in preparation for taking Physics and KNOW I will probably only emerge with a solid C because of my Dyscalculia. I DEPEND on Khan Academy. I am taking Calc, Physics, and both Chems ONE course at a time ( haven’t been in school since 1996). There are moments where my calc tutor has looked at my like I have three heads when I say I am going to take Physics - then I get REALLY downhearted and wonder if I can do this at all. but then I read your story, become aware that I have been diagnosing and treating mental illness for 16 years, and KNOW that I am called to do this. If I do the work, God will take care of the rest. Thank you for picking me up!!

• In reply to:
I am slogging my way through Calculus in preparation for taking Physics and KNOW I will probably only emerge with a solid C because of my Dyscalculia

Wow! I would say you have pretty much conquered your dyscalculia. Calculus is not easy, by any means! My wife has dyscalculia (who incidentally is also an MSW, without the L yet though) would consider you very brave indeed!! Way to go! I think that if you manage a C in calculus with dyscalculia, that is something to be proud of.

For those that have no exposure to the disability, they will not understand the tremendous difficulty you face in taking a mathematics course of this magnitude.

If your degree program will allow it, perhaps you could consider taking the course Pass/Fail.

Either way, I applaud you.

• VickiV Said:
I've got to say, you just built me back up again.

Great! I read your intro post and it sounds like you have a lot of life experience!

• VickiV Said:
I am slogging my way through Calculus in preparation for taking Physics and KNOW I will probably only emerge with a solid C because of my Dyscalculia.

Sounds like you're well on your way to doing what you want to do! I'm curious about why you are even taking calculus? Is there are specific school that you are interested where the course is required? Also, I'm not sure if ANY school requires calculus based Physics. Is there another, easier option? I'm just curious, not second guessing your decision.

Well, I don’t know about “conquered”! My tutor scratches her head a lot, but sticks with me and keeps trying until she can come up with a way to explain it that allows me to “get” it. I spend anywheres from 10-20 hours a weekend on this. Thank you for the Kudos though!

I knew that since I had not sat in a mathmatics classroom since 1977 that I needed to “brush up” before I attempted Physics. I actually will be taking Algebra based Physics. I ended up in Calculus I because it was the lowest level math course offered at the University I have tuition credits for…it was that or nothing! Won the lottery for a professor though…she is very thorough, entertaining, and compassionate for students with weak math backgrounds. She is also brilliant and amazes me!

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It has really inspired me at a time I felt very low. I would like to share my own story with you and get some advice, if it’s possible. If you could send me your email, I’d appreciate it. Looking forward to speaking with you!!!

I realize the OP hasn’t been back to the site in some time, but could anyone else share their criteria for narrowing down schools for those of us who had low UG gpa and high post-bacc?

Hello Everyone, Just a quick update.

Just found out that I matched to a general surgery categorical position.

Graduation is in May. My wife (my rock), kids and I are happy and feel very blessed and very thankful to God for bringing us through these last 10 years. I’m going to have my MD at 37. There were tears, disappointments, trials, financial struggles, embarrassing moments, failed tests.

“First” post

It’s possible. Keep working.

Next goal: Pediatric Surgery Fellowship (with no dedicated bench research… yup, then overseas with LLU’s DMA Program!)

Awesome work man, congrats!