Low GPA, Not Giving Up

I’ve started again after about ten years, too. My gpa coming in again isn’t exactly stellar–retaking a couple of classes that I bombed will replace the grades and help my gpa significantly…and I have all the pre-meds to improve it even more.

It’s great you can take all those classes at night. I wish you luck!

UPDATE

I started Gen Chem three weeks ago and I’m feeling pretty good. We had our first exam last week, and while I did not perform as well as I would have liked, there is still room to improve and grow.

I encourage anyone with a low gpa to not give up. Yes, you have a mountain to climb BUT it is possible. There are plenty of success stories here and on SDN. Remember to fight and work towards what you want. For me, becoming a physician is what I want most. I’d rather die trying to become a physician than give up and settle for a desk job.

DO NOT GIVE UP!!!

Thank you all for the encouragement and support.

UPDATE

Finished summer Gen Chem with a B.

Obviously not the grade I wanted but the course and instructor were pretty bad. Considering this is my first science course in almost 4 years, I’m happy that I did well.

I certainly noticed the instructor was definitely insensitive to the various demographics of students. I think she’s use to the younger freshmen crowd. She even asked me why I didn’t take day classes, instead of the science in the evening courses. When I told her I had to work full-time to support myself and pay for school, she looked very perplexed and moved on to another topic.

I’m curious how folks handle “Old Pre-Med” prejudice or insensitivity to your situation as a working adult and/or parent in a post-bacc program?

Thanks again for all the support.

you smile and move on. You are not there to make friends, you are not there to party. You are there to get the best grade you can and get into medical school.

I have more of the ‘crab-bucket’ where I work than at school . It’s insane ~ the group of younger nurses gossip something fierce and treat myself, an older RN/pre-med, and another older RN/PA like trash. They can’t see past why I’d want to go to med school. I’ve been asked, “Do you hate nursing?” and “Why?” but not with kindness.

It’s very, very difficult to fight that off but nursing is famous for gossiping cliques, which is why I think docs don’t respect nurses as much as they should. Yes, I like nursing because I treasure the time I get to spend with each patient. But I want to be a decision maker who will listen to both the nurse and the patient.

Honestly, I have more support from classmates. They think it’s cool I’m going further. I guess it’s all about who I listen to and where do I want to be in 6 years, RN III or MD…MD for sure.

• Leuschner4 Said:
I have more of the 'crab-bucket' where I work than at school . It's insane ~ the group of younger nurses gossip something fierce and treat myself, an older RN/pre-med, and another older RN/PA like trash. They can't see past why I'd want to go to med school. I've been asked, "Do you hate nursing?" and "Why?" but not with kindness.

It's very, very difficult to fight that off but nursing is famous for gossiping cliques, which is why I think docs don't respect nurses as much as they should. Yes, I like nursing because I treasure the time I get to spend with each patient. But I want to be a decision maker who will listen to both the nurse and the patient.

Honestly, I have more support from classmates. They think it's cool I'm going further. I guess it's all about who I listen to and where do I want to be in 6 years, RN III or MD...MD for sure.

You're much braver than me. I haven't even told anyone at my job that I'm trying to go to medical school. It sucks, but employers these days want people who are committed to the company and not personal goals/career development. When I mentioned I wanted to go to medical school during a job interview last year, the supervisor didn't seem to thrilled and I never got a call back. Plus, my current position has nothing to do with medicine, and most people can't relate to to what I'm trying to do.

That's why I'm thankful for OPM. I can scream...I WANT TO GO TO MEDICAL SCHOOL. Without out fear of prejudice :-)

I work in a community health center. My supervisor, the medical director, sent me a copy of the commencement speech to the graduating MD class at Yale. I answered him, thanking him for the support of my med school dreams and accidentally, for the first time ever in my 28 year career, sent the email to “ALL USERS”. Surprisingly, I have gotten tremendous support. Especially from my doctor colleagues. A PA asked me why all the work of med school when I could just go PA…and of course ALL the nurses are bashing me behind my back - but I am used to that. In every medical setting I have ever worked in, the nurses hate the social workers. I subscribe to Gabe’s motto “I don’t care”. MY life, MY dreams, and you don’t pay my bills. Bottom line, the support I get from the other doctors, which will translate into LOR’s down the road here is all that really matters. Keep your eye on the prize…and someday you will be handing down orders…perhaps to someone who once knew you as a nurse…

I fit in with the not doing as well as I would like to, and in all honesty it can be rough when it comes to looking at all the A’s that people get around you. At times I feel like it’s what the post baccs at my school like gossip about. For myself, I like keep my grades to myself.

The thing that gets me by, is realizing that the past is past and that you did the best that you could do under the circumstances that you had. The individual journey is going to be different for everyone, and everyone can agree it sucks to fall down. But it happens. One of my favorite professors said to me last semester that “The only person that is keeping you from going to med school and becoming a doctor is yourself.”

Getting into med school is more that one aspect. It’s the whole that makes it happen. So you say you screwed up in a class? Well study the crap out of it afterwards and make it count on the MCAT. GPA and grade screw ups happen, but don’t think you’re a screw up because of a grade.

You are on your own journey, don’t let others affect you in a negative fashion. Negativity will never help you out. FUD is bound to follow. Keep your chin up, that

Thanks for your encouragement! I’ll never understand why nurses bash others… those that do never do it to one’s face either. I work with a doc that hates the nurses…sometimes I can’t blame him.

I think the best thing is to keep our goals to ourselves and publish them here on this forum. We support one another