Major FUD

Someone, please kick me.

I needed a place to vent, not on my blog; here, where people who are really in, trying to, or leaving this path.

FUD has settled into my brain. I need it to go away. I need to know this has not been for naught.

I’m getting a stupid B+/A- in ochem. I hate looking at that…

That is all.

I got Cs in both semesters of organic. This year I had 3 interviews, 1 acceptance.

I think you are fine. passes you some eggnog

• Adoc2be Said:
Someone, please kick me.

I needed a place to vent, not on my blog; here, where people who are really in, trying to, or leaving this path.

FUD has settled into my brain. I need it to go away. I need to know this has not been for naught.

I'm getting a stupid B+/A- in ochem. I hate looking at that...

That is all.

LINK HERE TO SLAP!

B+/A- in Ochem? FUD? OMG! WTF?

Your GPA isn't SOL! You still have MCAT.

You'll be an MS-1 and then an MD or DO.

So get rid of this FUD ASAP!

Consider this a kick in your ASS!
  • gonnif Said:
Consider this a kick in your ASS!

Thanks Pixie and Richard!

I was really ... not focusing on the job at hand and instead focusing on the future and what might be.

Yuck, much?

I'm back at it. Pd-C takes ... but can only take syn alkene down to alkane and then ...

hang in there - I got a B in second semester OChem and a C (oh no!!!) in my second semester bio class - now I’m and OMS-2 managing to pass all my classes

I’ve got several C’s in upper division sciences (biochemistry II, advanced organic chemistry, and general genetics). I got mostly A’s in regular premed coursework, but did get B’s in regular organic chemistry. Yes, I wish all those B’s were A’s, but oh well. Time to rock that MCAT.

Now, I’m sitting here staring at ochem; worried I did not do well on bio and dropped from solid A to B. Professor does not give +/- so if I dropped out of the A range, it will be a B.

Rest of the class already got their scores but because I take mine in the disability services, I’m presuming my grade stands at a “C” because the system “thinks” I have compiled all of my own points against the 240 point scale. On a 50 point test, 1 pt each, I needed to get 38 to hold my grade. I keep checking thinking the professor will update my grade at 9 PM CST on a Friday

How pathetic is that?!? And I studied… but man, some of those questions from earlier this semester were tricky!

/bites fingers

/breathes deeply

/ponders going to bed before tackling ochem in the morning and for the next 4 days

take a breath. Go to a happy place. Have a scotch, you will be fine.

Welcome to the world of the Type A personality.

Is this a joke? You got an A-/B+ and you are freaking out?

Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that this is normal behavior for medical students. It’s an unhealthy pattern of thinking, and a large part of the reason for poor work satisfaction, and physician depression.

Keep it simple. Do the work, don’t worry about the grade. If you get a B+ then, it is the result of your best effort.

In medical school, keep that same philosophy. As they say P = MD/DO.

• raffster Said:
Is this a joke? You got an A-/B+ and you are freaking out?

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that this is normal behavior for medical students.

raffster,

The OP is not a medical student. This IS normal behavior for PRE-medical students.

• raffster Said:
It's an unhealthy pattern of thinking, and a large part of the reason for poor work satisfaction, and physician depression.

Yes, but the medical education system rewards what you are calling this "unhealthy pattern of thinking", if it results in a competitive application, by handing out interviews & acceptances. The same is true of residency programs.
  • TicDocDoh Said:
raffster,

The OP is not a medical student. This IS normal behavior for PRE-medical students.

My mistake. You are correct that many pre-medical students exhibit this behavior, but that does not make it "normal" or "ideal."

• TicDocDoh Said:
Yes, but the medical education system rewards what you are calling this "unhealthy pattern of thinking", if it results in a competitive application, by handing out interviews & acceptances. The same is true of residency programs.

I was not suggesting to the OP to become less-competitive or strive for less. I was simply suggesting that if one maximizes their learning by not wasting time, and simply working to their individual potential, a corresponding grade will result. If after their maximized personal effort, only a mediocre grade results, then what more can that person do?

All I'm suggesting is, if more focus is placed on the learning process, post-grade anxiety and worry can be greatly reduced.

Raff,

I came here 3 years ago, at 44, to start trodding down this path. My story is beyond circuitous.

OPM has become my true hiding place to vent and get support when I know to the outside world, I must maintain that solid, decorum of “Everything is A-okay” when it really isn’t.

Yes, with a 2.196 from 1987, let the med schools beat a path to my door. C’mon Harvard, whatcha waiting for??? Right? Columbia? Johns H? Seriously, you don’t want me with that fabulous 2.196???

That’s why every B+ now, makes me cringe. That’s why every A- makes me self-doubt, and re-evaluate. It reminds me of how screwed up my past is. It reminds me of how wasted my life was. It reminds me…

And then, of course, my son checks my grades for me (pre-ochem exam) and says, “Eh, you got an A in bio” - smiles, and walks away.

That won’t be true for ochem. I was watching freelanceteach.com videos, teaching myself and others in my class H-NMR and IR 2 days before the exam because even though we go to every lecture, we did not understand. It was poorly explained in lecture.

Anyway, exam was 4.5 hours today. Yes, you too can do ochem for 4.5 hours -

Thanks, Raff. I do think your point is valid… and at some point, when I do not have to prove myself “worthy” of this adventure, I will be able to act upon it. Until then…