May I ask for advice?

Hi Friends,
I read this site everyday, but very rarely post–that is until I now…My dilemma is that I just received my August MCAT score and it was very disappointing (in the low 20s). I studied with Examkrackers all summer, but still this result. My prerequisites are 6-9 years old, and although I have taken recent upper division coursework in the past 2 years, I wonder if my score reflects the fact that I’ve been away from the basic sciences for awhile, or just poor test performance. My state school says the age of my prerequisites don’t matter. My overall GPA is 3.72 and BCPM GPA is 3.66. I’m at a crossroads of whether I should just stop and take the classes over, or enroll in a test prep class (I studied on my own the first time). Thanks for your help!

Quote:

Hi Friends,
I read this site everyday, but very rarely post–that is until I now…My dilemma is that I just received my August MCAT score and it was very disappointing (in the low 20s). I studied with Examkrackers all summer, but still this result. My prerequisites are 6-9 years old, and although I have taken recent upper division coursework in the past 2 years, I wonder if my score reflects the fact that I’ve been away from the basic sciences for awhile, or just poor test performance. My state school says the age of my prerequisites don’t matter. My overall GPA is 3.72 and BCPM GPA is 3.66. I’m at a crossroads of whether I should just stop and take the classes over, or enroll in a test prep class (I studied on my own the first time). Thanks for your help!

Hi there,
One of the best means of preparation for MCAT is to purchased the retired exams and take them under test conditions. By doing this, you should have a good idea of what your problems may be. Do you have a knowledge deficit? Are you having problems with the way the test is structured? Do you have a problem with both of these things?
The MCAT does not test in the same manner that most colleges and universities test. You do not regurgitate knowledge but rather you are asked to apply your knowledge to problems. The better your problem-solving ability, generally, the better you will do on MCAT.
The test prep companies have great diagnositic tests that can help you figure out your weaknesses. You also get more than enough practice MCAT exams so that you are thoroughly familiar with the manner in which the test works. Since many more students are preparing with professional test prep companies, this test had gotten much more challenging than when I took it back in 1996.
When I looked at the materials from The Princeton Review versus Kaplan, The Princeton Review had far and away the best materials. They have acquired the Hyperlearning materials which have been a huge asset. On the other hand, Kaplan has excellent instructors and far more facilities available.
I have heard that ExamKrackers is a good system but it didn’t work for you so you may want to branch out to something else or use something else in addition to your ExamKrackers. You certainly cannot go wrong practicing with the retired MCAT exams.
If you are in the low 20s, you are probably out of range for most medical schools in the US. If you elect to take the April exam, make sure that you have figured out your problem and worked to solve it. For most people, it is not a knowledge deficit but difficulty with the types of problems that the MCAT presents. This can be overcome with lots of practice.
What you DO NOT want to present is several very poor MCAT scores before you get a good one. Figure out your weaknesses and work on them. If you are not ready for the April exam, do not take it. The next score that you want to present should be the last one be it April or next August. Your GPA is competitive so you can make the rest of your application competitive including the MCAT before you apply.
Good luck!
Natalie

Thanks for your response. I did use the retired AAMC exams 3-7 in my preparation and my practice scores never got higher than the mid twenties. I consistently scored a 10 only in verbal on these exams, but on the real deal got an 8. Biological Section had the same score. I’m glad you mentioned the Princeton Review. Maybe I need to invest the money and go ahead and take a course for the next time around.

If you have taken enough practice exams and consistently scored in the low 20’s then your problem “may” lie in knowledge of the material. This is why for many folks it is best to retake pre-reqs that are far removed. Although some schools do not care how old your pre-reqs are some do. You can take a lot of review courses but they are just that a “review” they do not go into detail to explain things like undergrad courses do and they are accelerated. Princenton review which I took was during three months where we reviewed ALL pre-reqs this is not the same as taking your time in a whole semester and mastering the material. Only you can ask yourself where your weakness lies and go from there. Good luck!

Quote:

Hi Friends,
I read this site everyday, but very rarely post–that is until I now…My dilemma is that I just received my August MCAT score and it was very disappointing (in the low 20s).

Wolfda, please don’t throw in the towel just yet for this year. Check your PM for specifics!!
Good luck!!

I too, did not score as well as I would have liked, however, I am predominantly interested in osteopathic schools and I believe they will place more weight on your entire application. I contacted several of the schools and they said while an MCAT score less than 25 is not ideal, if the rest of the application is outstanding, they may place less emphasis on it. I even have two friends that scored 19 and 22 and both got in to their first pick of schools. They were good students, have a great deal of experience, and are passionate about becoming physicians. I have a science GPA of 3.87, a decent amount of health care experience, and family alumni at my institution of choice. I can’t see not throwing my hat in the ring for 2006 just because of one negative and the adcoms I spoke with agreed. Ultimately you have to let your heart lead you, but if you haven’t considered widening the schools you are willing to attend, then you owe it to yourself to at least look at alternatives.

I too scores a 22 on the MCAT and upper 20s during practice. But I am not about to throw in the towel on this. This is what I want to do. Since you are here as well, this is what you want to do.
Regroup, maybe retake in April. But do not give up.