MCAT PREP

Greetings everyone!
I am virtually finished with all my pre-reqs. and plan on taking the MCAT in August. I've talked with many schoolmates, who said to take
one of the Princeton or Kaplan prep courses…problem being: I hear They're very costly ($1000 +).
Am I really at a disadvantage if I don't take a course, and what advice is there for those who don't take a prep. course, i.e. any good practice materials,books, etc.? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Don Martin

QUOTE (Donno70 @ Apr 9 2003, 10:46 AM)
Greetings everyone!
I am virtually finished with all my pre-reqs. and plan on taking the MCAT in August. I've talked with many schoolmates, who said to take
one of the Princeton or Kaplan prep courses...problem being: I hear They're very costly ($1000 +).
Am I really at a disadvantage if I don't take a course, and what advice is there for those who don't take a prep. course, i.e. any good practice materials,books, etc.? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Don Martin

Hey Don,
I have not taken any prep course yet. However, I just wanted to let you know if you decide on Kaplan then you are eligible for a 10% discount just for being an OldPreMeds member!!
Keep me posted.
Geoff

I think it really depends on your learning style. One thing I know about Kaplan, is that they focus on exactly what you need for the MCAT. That helps you focus on the major concepts you need. They also teach test taking skills with tips, etc that keep you working smart. If the classroom is where you learn better, then use the class. However, they also have a really good internet based program if learning on the computer suits you. It is also somewhat less expensive.
Kathy

Don,
In my opinion, you should seriously consider taking a prep class. When I was preparing for the MCAT a few years ago, I bought a few review books, a couple of MCATs from AAMC and paid for the test. All told, I spent over $400 for the test and prep material. I did about average.
So, when I was getting ready to start preparing for this iteration of the MCAT, I considered retaking physics - by far my weakest area. Finally, I simply decided to shell out the money for Kaplan’s classroom course. Yeah, it’s expensive. And maybe my opinion will change after I actually take the test in a few days, but right now, I feel far more comfortable with the prep work I’ve done for this MCAT.
I’ll let y’all know after I take the MCAT if I feel the cost of the prep class was worth it tongue.gif
– Rachel

Unless you are a very self-disciplined person, studying for the MCAT on your own can be very difficult. Personally, I would try to take an organized prep course if at all possible. If not, I would set a strict study schedule, and not let anything or anyone change it!
By the way, if you are coming to the conference May 29-June 1 in Washington, DC, Kaplan is giving away a test prep course in our raffles. So. . . one way to get the course cheaper would be to come to DC, buy a couple of dozen raffle tickets, and keep your fingers crossed!! cool.gif

Hello and thanks to all who responded to my inquiry. It always helps when people share their ideas…which is what we're here for.

Don

I like evergreen wreaths in the winter. I know they are easy to make - I've read articles and see Martha do it. But, I know I will NEVER go buy the parts and spend a Saturday making a wreath. On the other hand, I would sign up for a wreath-making class (materials included) and spend a Saturday making a wreath.
On the other hand, I was in the habit of going to school, finishing my degree and scheduling study time around the rest of my worktime and my life. So I just scheduled in MCAT study time and did the review on my own without a course.
I think it really does come down to 2 things:
1) your ability/williness to schedule your own time to study
2) if you think you'll need the lectures to refresh your memory - some people just need to hear it rather than just read it.

Geoff,
Just how do you get the discount? I called to register and they were clueless - is there a special promo code I need to use?

>>I have not taken any prep course yet. However, I just wanted to let you know if you decide on Kaplan then >>you are eligible for a 10% discount just for being an OldPreMeds member!!
>>Geoff

QUOTE (BACMEDIC @ May 1 2003, 03:57 PM)
Geoff,
Just how do you get the discount? I called to register and they were clueless - is there a special promo code I need to use?

>>I have not taken any prep course yet. However, I just wanted to let you know if you decide on Kaplan then >>you are eligible for a 10% discount just for being an OldPreMeds member!!
>>Geoff

Yes there is a code. If you are going to register for a class let me know and I will get you the discount code.
Geoff