MCAT: re-read text(s) or focus on prep books/other materials?

I am aware there is a section where I can post anything related to MCAT, but saw the last activity there was 7/27. So, I wanted to post here instead…

I am planning to take the MCAT for the first time in January or February at the latest.I’ve not had freshman Biology in a few years, but my Organic is fairly fresh(took last fall and spring and Physics somewhat fresh as well(would need lots of practice still). Would it benefit me to open up the freshman Biology text, re-read and understand all material throughout the text? Or, go on ahead with something like ExamKrackers, reading through the concepts covered in their books, and focus more of my time there?

I’m looking at 5-6 months of prep time being I have a full-time job and also taking classes. Don’t want to rush this whatsoever.

Thanks!

I would do the examkrackers and use the text as a more in depth reference when the EK aren’t cutting it.

I’ll go with that method then. Thanks, Bailey.

I agree with BaileyPup - focus on the basics and use supplemental materials for topics with which you need additional help. I can’t emphasize enough the importance of practice passages. I found The Berkeley Review passages to be extremely helpful in prepping for the test the second time (although you may want to check back with me Tuesday when I get my score…). I definitely felt well-prepared the second time around, and not because of content/factoid knowledge, but because TBR helped me focus on getting the info I needed from the passage.

• Switzerland Said:
I found The Berkeley Review passages to be extremely helpful in prepping for the test the second time (although you may want to check back with me Tuesday when I get my score...). I definitely felt well-prepared the second time around, and not because of content/factoid knowledge, but because TBR helped me focus on getting the info I needed from the passage.

I'll second the use of TBR (KILLER passages, IMHO) over ALL the others and I've tried them all!

I found coursesaver.com to be unbelievably helpful. I was floundering in gen chem and also had not covered much of the most popular MCAT material in physics. I paid $40 for one month and watched every gen chem video (there are dozens), some of the organic, and most of the physics. For deeper work try freelance-teach.com, although that is much more geared toward classes than MCAT.

If you haven’t had Bio in a while, then you may like Khanacademy’s videos. Not comprehensive but will give you a good refresher on many topics. Also, I highly recommend studying the darn kidney. A lot.

Kate or Mary Renard, I can’t remember who, recommended a logical reasoning book of some kind for the VR. I would definitely get that or at least an LSAT practice book. I only studied VR for a couple of hours, and I wish I had studied it more–an easy bump up in score.

I didn’t use TBR but from what I have heard I should have. I do recommend having more than one set of books–e.g., I used Princeton Review, EK, Kaplan, and study books from Schaum and the Second Language series; sometimes I would not understand material from one set and found explanations elsewhere that were more helpful.

I also listened to audio lectures everywhere I went.

I could go on for ages–let me know if you want any other advice. I studied for 6 weeks (no other commitments other than volunteering) and did well.