MD/PhD

I had heard of MD/PhD dual degree programs, but had never considered one due to the fact that I’m a non-traditional applicant. Recently, my boss suggested I consider it so I am starting to look into it.

My undergrad degree is in Human Development and my masters is in Education. Is it possible to pursue the MD/PhD dual degree program without a hard science background? I work as a research assistant at a university lab but I don’t have any publications (yet! :slight_smile: ), and I’m currently in my mid-twenties so I may not be the ideal candidate.

Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts/experience with MD/Phd dual degree programs, because I really don’t know much about it. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Unless you really want to do bench research and/or maybe in-the-weeds translational type medicine, you really only need an MD. You can still do research as an MD if that’s your thing. I only know from speaking with a friend of mine who is md/phd, but they seem to really like folks who are already pretty experienced in the realm of research. There are very few positions nationally, making them a pretty competitive thing (especially since most/all cover the cost of med school). By all means apply if that’s what you want. The worst thing they can do is say no and you get into a standard MD/DO program.

@Kennymac wrote:

but they seem to really like folks who are already pretty experienced in the realm of research. There are very few positions nationally, making them a pretty competitive thing (especially since most/all cover the cost of med school).

Either PhD/MD or PhD/DO is my goal and yes, you’ll need some significant research experience to get accepted to one of the “official” combined degree programs. But if that doesn’t work out, you could also take a leave of absence after your 2nd year of med school to earn a PhD, then finish your MD. This route will likely cost more but if this is what your goal is, then it’s worth it. You could also earn a PhD in residency, there are MANY ways to earn both degrees

As for the ability to do research as an MD, sure you obviously can. But medical school doesn’t teach you to do research, that’s what PhD programs are for.

Good luck!

…URGH!!