Med school admission

Hi

I’m 29 years old Aerospace Engineer. I have completed my undergrad from Mechanical Engineering, Masters from industrial and manufacturing engineering and 4 course shy of completing, PhD in Mechanical Engineering (concentration is Aircraft structure) degree requirements. Side by side I’m working in world class Aircraft Company as an Aeronautical Engineer last 3 years. I have some significant contribution in research during my MS thesis as well as in my company newly developed aircraft. Recently I got awarded for most significant contribution in the aircraft design and development.

Anyway, so far I have enjoyed my engineering career, but recently I’m feeling to do something different. I think that different I can make, if I go to med school.

I have done my undergrad from outside USA but my MS and partial PhD (so far) are from USA. I have good GPA in my MS and PhD (3.75).

My questions are…

1. Am I too late for Med School?

2. Do I need to take a lot of premed course work?

3. Is it possible to get admission in med school at this stage of my career?

I would be glade, if any one helps me to get through those confusions

thanks in advance
  1. Am I too late for Med School? No you are not.

2. Do I need to take a lot of premed course work? You may have to take the required biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics.

3. Is it possible to get admission in med school at this stage of my career? Why not??

I think that the only challenge you might have has to do with your undergraduate degree and that it was done outside of the country. And as Gabe mentioned, you would need to have the prereqs completed, and those most likely may need to be done stateside.

I think you also need to ask yourself why medicine? Sure it may be a challenge, but there needs to be more of a reason that at this point in your career you are going to make such a big change. You’ve worked so hard with your current training, why don’t you want to finish?