Med school tours

When did you all start touring medical programs you were interested in? Did the schools have an open house type session? Did you call up the schools and ask first?

As always, thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hi–I had read somewhere not to bother touring, because you would see it when you had an interview and the cost was not worth it, given the uncertainty involved.

However, if someplace is close by, it may be simple and cheap to do. I know that some schools, such as Stony Brook in New York, has tours–as you mentioned, you can call them or look on their Web site for information.

I attended TCOM open house today, my first tour. I think that this is a very good way in learning more about a school. Attendants get first hand information. This includes an opportunity to have a one on one conversation with members of the admission committee and present students in the program. For example, i learned that for the past few years TCOM has been making an effort to admit a ‘few’ qualified students who are between 35-50 yrs old. In open discussion, I learned that TCOM hardly ever gets to admit 10% out of state student on any given year. This is mainly due to low volume of out-of-sate applicant. Also, each year about 25-30% of the incoming class consist of repeat applicants. Further, on a per request basis, applicants who were not selected will have a full review. If the correctable problems are rectified, this applicant stand a high chance of getting accepted at TCOM, the next time the individual applies. TCOM encourages potential applicant to schedule a visit, prior to application, meet with a admission committee member to discuss transcript and other issues pertaining to application.

An admissions rep at the OPM conference said doing so allows the admissions staff to put a face with a name, and it can help in a small way when it’s actually time to apply. However, just being at the conference had the same effect because I was able to talk to reps from schools. Several told me to email them as I progressed through the application process because I mentioned I was applying when I got back home.

If a school is in your state, and you don’t mind staying there, I would say definitely make an effort to visit. First, easy excuse for a road trip if its not nearby. And second, it doesn’t require a huge amount of money or effort.

Finally, if you are really excited about a school who’s secondary process lacks much room to shine (ie: no additional essays) then I would make an effort to visit. I did so, because I wasn’t 100% confident my stats and letters would get me an interview. I currently have no idea if this helped me in any way, but it was an opportunity to meet the program’s admissions team and ask them lots of questions.

Hope all that helped a bit!

Pixie,

I agree about the importance of the name-face matching thing. The school I have my heart set on is in a different state, unfortunately. However, it’s only a couple states over and I’ve been in consistent communication (via e-mail) for about a year with an admissions advisor there. I think it’d be nice to be able to see the campus and ask a couple questions in person to reiterate my desire and commitment to becoming a candidate for their program. Especially since this particular school accepts very few out-of-staters.

Thanks for your feedback!

I just toured a couple of schools I’m interested in last week, and found it an invaluable experience. They were long-distance schools for me, but I made it cheaper by driving and staying with friends. If you can pull it off, it’s great, especially if you’re really interested in the school and can meet with someone who potentially has an impact on the admissions process.

I think touring med schools is an absolute must!

Given that most people accepted to med school have parents/grandparents/rela tives who are Doctors/Scientists and make connections for them, look at this like another step you must take to even the playing field so to speak.