Medical School Requirements

Salut Monsieur! Que’st que tu fais aujourd’hui?

I took French for a year back in school… have forgotten most of it though!

You have a lot on your plate, and you are doing great. Wish you lots of luck.

ChicBrownie

Merci beaucoup. J’apprecie tes commentaires.

Take care for now.

Hi Chicbrownie,

How is the shadowing done? Is it required? My ex is a doctor, I wish I had not muddled the water, I would probably have shadowed with her or something. Anyway, is this really required?

Gasee … Good luck to you on your journey! I am just a rookie here and learning by reading other threads and asking questions. So definitely searching the forum will help you a lot.

Here are my 2 cents … I am currently volunteering and not shadowing so cannot give first hand account of how that will be? I am enjoying being in the hospital environment and learning how it operates. It is good to learn what roles various medical staff members play. I was nervous to start but it is going well so far!

I can tell for my volunteering experience that shadowing will help one clear a lot of doubts and questions and gain insight into the professional life of a physician. I will try to shadow when I have a clear plan worked out for myself on my journey. At this point volunteering is helping me eliminate a lot of fog.

Hi Anyanwu,

Welcome to the forum.

Actually, there are many medical schools that accept foreign students. You would just be on a student visa. For DO schools, you will need this:

https://www.netforumondemand.com/eweb/shopping/sho…

This is the 2011 Osteopathic Medical College Information Book. When you get to the listings of individual schools, it will tell you if they accept international students or not. There are quite a few of them.

The same goes for allopathic schools. You have to research each school individually. If they do accept international students, then the acceptance criteria will be the same as for U.S. citizens or residents. Of course, many schools will give preference to residents of their state. As others have said, the major challenge would be funding, as many schools will require you to show proof of finances before starting your studies.

Good luck!

Thanks. Some have told me, I may not need that. I have been offered a position teaching at a midwestern University, I might as well take the opportunity to finish off my pre-reqs and think about shadowing later.