Misplaced...

Hi all,

I’m a 32 year old in my second year of a DPT program. Oh muscles…you’re fascinating…but you’re not medicine. Don’t get me wrong, I love going to class every day and learning something new. But what I’ve come to realize is that I feel like I don’t belong where I am. I love medicine.

My high school graduation paragraph described me as pre-med. I got to college, and well…I was more interested in parties and such than I was class. I ended up majoring in something I was inherently good at, just because it was easier. So…I worked for four years as a teacher. While I loved the students that I was able to work with, I got bored…and I knew it wasn’t right. Don’t misinterpret, teachers do not have an easy job, it just wasn’t how I wanted to be challenged.

I left 4 years ago for a career in physical therapy, I figured that it married my love of medicine with my fascination with the human body (I’ve been a dancer for much of my life). Now I feel like I’m settling. In fact, I KNOW I am. I’m not saying that physical therapists have it easy or that you don’t need to be ridiculously intelligent to be a good PT…I’m just saying I’m a square peg.

Now, I understand that leaving PT school may not be looked upon favorably by medical admissions committees…but what to do? Do I want to continue to accrue all this debt for something that I don’t truly want? Or do I go for it “guns a-blazing”??? All I have left to do is take organic chemistry (which I realize is a feat within itself), and I could apply to med school (MCAT notwithstanding).

I’ve shadowed doctors, and even on my PT internships I’m constantly analyzing notes, looking up medical conditions, and feeling drawn to the physicians on the floor rather than my clinical instructor.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

–B

You already know what you want to do, so do it. It will be scary but if you have the grades and MCAT score then go for it. Definitely write your story on the PS and get moving. Don’t settle. Count the cost and decide whether you are willing to pay the price. It sounds like you have and are so get er done!

For what it’s worth, I’d think DO schools would be especially receptive

Kate