MPH

Has anyone here obtained an MPH? If so, are you familiar with MPH programs in Epidemiology at either Tulane or Univ of Texas (Houston) schools of public health?
Also, what should I include in my career statement? I have a strong interest in public health and would like to get some research experience at the same time. My plan is to apply to med school afterwards.
Thanks

Maybe some clarification is in order…or maybe my skull has grown too thick! Are you planning to obtain your MPH prior to med school? Asan agent to improve your chances at getting into med school? Or, are you planning to seek your MPH as an adjunct to med school - while you are a med student?
All of the above are options…furthermore, Dartmouth Univ also offers their residents the opportunity to apply to undertake a double residency (all of their residents are eligible to apply) that adds an adjunct program in “Medical Leadership & Preventive Medicine”. This adds 2 years onto your primary residency, except for anesthesiology where it adds only 1 year. The program entails seminars, 1 to 2/month, throughout your residency & about 1 year of grad school at Dartmouth done at the approximate halfway point of your primary residency. After concluding your primary training, you are required to spend about a year performing a practicum - essentially an in-depth research/application of knowledge project forcused on the topic(s) of your choice.
You come out of this program boarded in not only your primary specialty; but also board eligible in preventive medicineand receive an MPH from Dartmouth’s Center for Clinical Evaluative Sciences.
Does this info help? Or am I missing your question altogether?

Sorry, my post wasn't very clear.
I would like to obtain an MPH in Epidemiology first and then apply to medical school.
I wanted to know if anyone is familiar with Tulane's or Houston's MPH/Epi programs. Also, I don't know how to approach writing my career statement for the public health schools.

Hi there,
An MPH is a valuable degree to have in addition to an MD. You should fashion your career personal statement around what you might do with your Epidemiology degree. Do you have an interest in tracking an epidemic at the CDC? Do you have an interest in Preventive Health? How will an MPH with an emphasis in Epidemiology help you in your career aspirations? Where do you see yourself in ten years? Detailed answers to these questions might help you get started on your career statement. You might also address the type of research that you might like to do in the future and how the MPH will help. Good luck! Your programs sound pretty interesting.
Natalie cool.gif

QUOTE (njbmd @ Jun 8 2003, 11:13 PM)
Hi there,
An MPH is a valuable degree to have in addition to an MD. You should fashion your career personal statement around what you might do with your Epidemiology degree. Do you have an interest in tracking an epidemic at the CDC? Do you have an interest in Preventive Health? How will an MPH with an emphasis in Epidemiology help you in your career aspirations? Where do you see yourself in ten years? Detailed answers to these questions might help you get started on your career statement. You might also address the type of research that you might like to do in the future and how the MPH will help. Good luck! Your programs sound pretty interesting.
Natalie cool.gif

Hi...Just be careful to remember that when writing your Statement of Purpose/Career Statement that these are not written in the same "voice" as a med school application personal statement.
Cheers,
Judy