Music Teacher Gone Crazy?

Hello, everyone!

I am a 35-year-old Music Teacher with two children and aspirations of becoming an MD. I guess I’m what they call a “career jumper.” I would some advice on the following:

1. I graduated Magna cum Laude with a 3.91 GPA, but very little of that was Science/ Math. Does this help me or hurt me?

2. Even if I went back to a community college and took the Bios, Chems, and Calculate classes I need, would my application be taken seriously?

Any feedback would be helpful! Thanks!

I was the victim of “auto correct.” I meant “Calculus”

I think the general consensus is to study what you want to in undergrad since it a) can reveal your interests and b) you’ll likely do better than in a major you feel forced to be in. You should be fine as long as you get the prereqs knocked out.

You can surf the forum for the pro/con advice about different prereq modalities (CC, online, DIY post bacc, formal postbacc).

I was an engineering major, took a job with nothing to do with engineering, did online prereqs from 2 different 4-yr institutions, and got accepted.

To echo kennymac, it doesn’t matter what you decide to major in as an undergrad. Your overall gpa along with your BCPM score will be determinative factors. It is critical, obviously, that you do well in your core science classes. Exhibiting competence in these, accompanied by a stellar 3.91, along with a decent MCAT score will certainly aid you when it comes to application time.

Welcome. You are among kindred spirits here. Medical schools want people from all different types of backgrounds, it is what makes people interesting. And being a music teacher sounds pretty interesting to me. Just ask yourself, because you will be asked in an interview. Why Medicine? Why now?

Again, welcome and ask more questions.