My first stab(and hopefully last) at the MCAT? When should I take it?

If the funds are there, I hope to take Physics I/Organic I in fall and the next two in the spring. I plan to begin working on my MS Biology possibly Fall 08. Would it be best for me to study and take the MCAT the summer before beginning my MS or would waiting til the following April or August be ok? From what I remember, med schools prefer your MCAT scores to be no more than x number of years old.

Very simple - take it only when you are ready & fully prepared to do your absolute best.

• southpawslugger Said:
If the funds are there, I hope to take Physics I/Organic I in fall and the next two in the spring. I plan to begin working on my MS Biology possibly Fall 08. Would it be best for me to study and take the MCAT the summer before beginning my MS or would waiting til the following April or August be ok? From what I remember, med schools prefer your MCAT scores to be no more than x number of years old.

Check out the websites of a couple of med schools that are on your radar screen, either because you've always thought you'd love to go there or because it's your state school or near where you'd like to be living. "Age" of MCAT scores will be on there. My recollection (and my information is NOT current) is that MCATs can't be taken more than three years prior to applying. It may even be two years prior to applying.

You do NOT have to take the MCAT at the onset of your application year, although most people do. If I were you, I'd take it after the conclusion of your o-chem and physics -- if you feel ready and have been able to adequately prepare for the MCAT while taking those classes -- because those courses are a great review in and of themselves for the MCAT.

But as Dave says, do NOT take it before you feel ready to knock it out of the park.

Mary