My introduction

Hi, everyone. I’m so glad I found this site! SDN is also very nice, but the non-trad forum has quite a range there.

Anyway, I graduated from Knox College in 1997 (technically, I was in the 1996 class, but since I studied in Japan my senior year, my transcripts got delayed). I had started out in their accelerated pre med program, but my high school (same as Meg here…Sandwich) was sort of a joke when I was there and I was a bit unprepared and partied too much. At least I don’t have to retake too many prereqs again. Anyway, my advisor was bad and just told me to quit, so I ended up in History and Japanese (I liked -studying- history, and am good at learning languages) and spent a year in Japan my senior year, and have been there a few times since.

I’ll cut out the mid years now. Anyway, medicine is one of those things I keep cycling back to every year or so… I am in IT now, and it pays really well and has been stable (in a health care company, too), but it isn’t a job that I love, among other things. So, this leads me to my current situation.

I’m engaged currently and at the same time I’ve decided to go back to retake my prereqs, bring up my college GPA, and then apply to medical school. So I have my 1st class since college again this summer at NWU and will try to get in their post-bac program (possibly). My fiance is British and I might be going there instead, but it depends on a few things and I won’t know for a couple of months. If that ends up being the case I’ll be doing some A levels in Britain while I wait to get residency status and apply to British schools.

Ok, enough of me typing. Nice to meet you all! Thanks for reading all my exposition!

Hey Cass! Welcome to OPM! So you’re a Sandwich native… I live here but am originally from Southern Illinois. There are a few from the Chicagoland area - someday we’ll all have to get together!

Quote:

Hey Cass! Welcome to OPM! So you’re a Sandwich native… I live here but am originally from Southern Illinois. There are a few from the Chicagoland area - someday we’ll all have to get together!

Small world, isn’t it?
Interesting, as my father’s family is from down by Bethalto/Edwardsville so I’m a bit familiar with some of the south of the state. Sandwich though…my parents are still there, but I’ve been up here in the NW burbs now for a while.

I know the St. Louis metro area well.
I was raised in Chester, about 65 miles S of St. Louis on the river

Welcome and goodLuck!

One note on the UK, I just spent a year there and Medschool is super competitive there, it’s almost impossible for a US citizen to get in. Most I know end up in Ireland or other med schools in Europe. Just wanted to throw that out there.

(Yea I corrected it bad speller! )

Welcome! Glad to see the Chicago contingent is growing.
I am also in IT; it seems that many of us are moving away from the tech sector. I, too, have a colorful (wow, is that a euphemism!) academic career, but have found my studies are much more focused now that I know what I want to do.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Tim

Quote:

Welcome and goodLuck!
One note on the UK, I just spent a year there and Medschool is super competative there, it’s almost impossible for a US citizen to get in. Most I know end up in Ireland or other med schools in Europe. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Yeah I know…it is very competitive. That’s why if I end up on the UK track it won’t be until after I’ve been there three years, as I’ll be able to apply as a resident. No chance I’d get in as an international student.
Quote:

Welcome! Glad to see the Chicago contingent is growing.
I am also in IT; it seems that many of us are moving away from the tech sector. I, too, have a colorful (wow, is that a euphemism!) academic career, but have found my studies are much more focused now that I know what I want to do.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Tim

Yeah, seems like there are a few Chicagoans here.
As for the IT thing, I’m sure they’ll ask me why I’m leaving a high-paying job to live poor for a while. lol.

Quote:

I’m sure they’ll ask me why I’m leaving a high-paying job to live poor for a while.

I’m with you there… I’m not looking forward to going in debt again. I’ve saved like crazy, but still don’t have anywhere near the $400K I figure I’ll need to cover school and living expenses for my family for four to seven years.
Maybe I’m being unrealistic, but I’d like it if my family didn’t have to reduce our standard of living as well as feel deprived of ‘Dad’…

Quote:

Quote:

I’m sure they’ll ask me why I’m leaving a high-paying job to live poor for a while.

I’m with you there… I’m not looking forward to going in debt again. I’ve saved like crazy, but still don’t have anywhere near the $400K I figure I’ll need to cover school and living expenses for my family for four to seven years.
Maybe I’m being unrealistic, but I’d like it if my family didn’t have to reduce our standard of living as well as feel deprived of ‘Dad’…

I guess I can’t answer the unrealistic part. I know in my case (I ‘only’ have a fiance and a dog) that I expect to take a standard of living cut. At least I’ve not really lived beyond my means, but having to pay attention to things will be a change. My house is on the market soon actually.