My Introduction

Hello everyone. I just wanted to take some time to introduce myself. First of all, I just wanted to say that I have found this site to be very informative and inspirational. As for me, I am 38 years old and have finally decided what I want to be when I grow up. Well, actually I think I decided it some years ago but have finally decided to put my thoughts and aspirations into action.

I just started as a “pre-med” student last semester at the local C.C. I plan on obtaining my A.A. and moving on to finish my Bachelors at the local four-year university. Some of my pre-reqs will be completed at the C.C., but I plan on taking the remainder and some other higher-level science courses at the four-year to balance it out. I’m also currently looking to start some EC activities, however I am looking for something more than just an application filler. I honestly do not have the time nor the desire for activities I am not passionate about. I also currently work full-time.

I have told no one of my future plans; you folks are the first. Sometimes I feel like shouting it from the rooftops (not literally of course), but I don’t. I’m afraid my self-doubts regarding this endeavor are still very much there (am I smart enough, am I too old), and am worried that anything except full-support from the ones close to me would add the fuel to the fire of those doubts.

However, I do see that it can be done. I have read some of the OPM diaries on this site, and they have been the source of much inspiration.

I don’t want to look back ten years from now and think about what could have been; I’ve already done that.

Looking forward to corresponding with all of you moving forward.

Jon

let me be the first to say welcome and that you are among kindred spirits. The best way to get all you can out of this organization is to be an active participant.

You will see that as you move through your journey, you will have a lot of questions. Many times our members have been there and done that so the information that you seek is already there. You just have to use the search function to find it. And if you don’t then ask away. Or ask way from the get go, it does not matter.

Either way, welcome and good luck.

Thanks, gabelerman. This seems like a great site for folks like myself and I’m so glad that I found it.

I see that you are an Osteopathic student. To be honest, up until about a year ago I thought a D.O. was some type of dentist (doh!). Color me ignorant I guess lol. As I read more and more about Osteopathic medicine, it seems like it would be a great fit for me. I guess it doesn’t hurt that LECOM-B is in my backyard either, and the PBL seems like an interesting way to learn.

Question: Since you’ve been doing your clinicals, how does the patient interaction differ between D.O. and patient vs. M.D. and patient (other than OMM)? Is there more of a “compassionate” type of approach with D.O.s? Thanks!

I can’t answer your DO questions … but I will say “Welcome!” And congrats on starting your classes. That’s awesome.

I would make one suggestion – try to find at least one IRL (in real life) person you can share your dream/goal with. You will be needing lots of support through this, even now, and while the OPM board is great, I think it will benefit you to have someone to talk to. I have found it immensely helpful to have people to talk to about both positive (exciting ) and negative (frustrating ) things. A human support network is simply a must, in my opinion, when doing something as major as changing your life’s direction. And I think you’ll feel better, and probably more confident, after sharing it with someone you know and trust.

Just a thought.

Again, welcome and good luck! Stick around, and keep telling us what you’re up to.

Terra, thanks for the warm welcome and good advice . I’ve been testing the waters by dropping hints here and there lately to those close to me. Guess I’m still in the self-discovery mode of this actually being a possibility. I am so glad that I stumbled upon this site. You and others show that it can be done.