My journey begins...

Hi everyone
This is an amazing resource and I feel so at home reading all of your stories because for once I don’t feel so alone and out of place when it comes to the pursuit of my goal
I have just signed up for 4 courses at my local university which will be my first step towards becoming a doctor-and I am sooo excited!!
I am 31 years old and have a son who is 3.5 years old. I am married and have been a SAHM for 4 years now. Before having Kieran, I took 1 semester nursing at a local community college. I really did enjoy some aspects of it and I did very well academically but knew that ultimately a doctor is what I wanted to become plus I wound up getting pregnant with my precious son so I had to postpone things. I have known from a young age that I wanted to be a doctor but the path my life took from the ago of 15-25 is one that people could write books about and no one would believe.
I have also been plagues with self-doubt (age, finances, am I smart enough etc) over the past decade and have been wishy-washy about finally taking the plunge and doing what it takes to achieve my goal.
I have not graduated high school yet (I am 3 courses short) but I was accepted into a general studies program as a mature student at the university last term and so I decided to try the first year Chem course. I got 95 so I now know I can probably handle a few more courses this term.
Anyhow, this is going to be such a long journey but I am finally at the point in my mind where I just have to do this or I will not be whole

and the choir said AMEN!
Good for you and welcome on board our crazy train of OPM’s! I’m realizing more & more it’s about desire and not intelligence. You need some smarts about you but the desire and passion will propel you to learn what you need to learn.
Never let go of your calling because it will haunt you. I’m in the same boat. I’ve been trying to get away from this crazy notion of medicine but it just keeps popping up. I’m going for it and glad to see there are other crazies along for the ride.
Welcome aboard and strap down for the long haul!

How excited can one person be?

I think it is wonderful that you are finaly taking the plunge and congratulations on that 95%. Remember that this is a long trek, so be patient. You are still young and have plenty of time left to do this in no matter your chronologic age. I too could write a book about my younger life, as many on this site could. Thats one of the things that make this site so fascenating.
There are many rescorces available for information on getting into med school, this site is one of the better ones, but talk to your school councelers and find out if your school has a pre-med advisor. Keep searching the internet and talk to med -schools you are interested in (I have found some of the best advise from admissions counselors, and don’t fall hopeless when you get discoureged or someonne gives you greef over your ambissions. Remember “Stay the course” you have probably developed the mental strength to survive anything so use it to get what you have set your mind on.
I think it sounds like you’ll be fine.
There is always alot of support here. So keep in touch and use all the rescorces you can find.
Steven0808

Hello jb
What you said in your last line about doing this in order to be whole is definitely from your heart. From what I have read and heard, that is going to be your, and my, most important asset. I am also just starting this road, and I too have a ‘checkered’ past. If that’s what you have. But here we are now. We are like the fellowship of the ring, many obstacles before us, but enough heart to overcome. Good luck to you, and keep going, no matter what.
Sheryl King