Need Advise

Hi all

I’m new to this site and very happy to find this inspirational site, well good luck to everybody, i have a question and need advice, I’m 32yrs old CPA with a 3.1 GPA for undergrad and 3.5 GPA to graduate studies in finance but I always dreamed to be a doctor , I’m even married to a doctor and recently have thought about going back to school to accomplish this dream, do you guys think it’s doable eventhough I didn’t like chemistry or physics in high school , i’m scared of those 2 prereq materials , what do you guys think? will i excel or will it be too hard for me since I had problem with chemistry and physics back in high school? how hard are these 2 materials?what are my chances if I do well in my pre req will they take into consideration the graduate 3.5 GPA? or the bad underg GPA ?

any honest advice will be appreciated

I HATED chemistry and biology in high school and college. Absolutely HATED them. Got C’s by the seat of my pants.

Now 22 years later, I’m retaking them, loving them, and getting A’s. Things change as we get older, and you don’t know you’ll do well until you try.

A

Thank you so much for your advice!

Well, I don’t think grad GPA is really going to matter unless it is a science based degree that shows your ability to excel in more difficult science courses.

As far as your undergrad, its not terrible depending on what schools you want to apply to. Its low but its not a deal breaker.

Taking your prereqs will give you a chance to work hard and show that you are capable with sciences. Whether you like them or not you probably have the maturity to do well with those classes as long as you keep your goal of becoming a doctor in clear view.

Not to be a one-upper but I failed those classes in high school and with work I am getting A’s. They are not nearly as impossible as we believe they are.

Ben

• MattJackson Said:
Well, I don't think grad GPA is really going to matter unless it is a science based degree that shows your ability to excel in more difficult science courses.

I concur with the above; graduate GPA is really not considered or worth very much to a application.

As for your fears of chem/physics, there are two things I recommend for people.

1. Get your math skills in algebra and trig into shape. There are many inexpensive self study guides as well as excellent free websites. (I think one is discussed earlier in this thread.

2. Get your students skills up to par. How to study from a text, how to take notes, how to takes exams, start thinking and developing a consistent process for yourself, that you can apply to all classes. If you haven't been in school for a while, you'll find these skills may have deteriorated.
  • MileHighOldMan Said:
Not to be a one-upper but I failed those classes in high school and with work I am getting A's. They are not nearly as impossible as we believe they are.

Ben

That's OK, it's the kind of one-upping I like to hear, LOL....

A

thank you guys for all your advices, I appreciate it good luck for everything