Need imput on my chances of admittance

Being non-traditional I am not sure of my chances of medical school admittance. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am 26yrs old, I have a chemistry degree from 2004, GPA 3.1 (both total and science), I will be graduating with a science Ph.D. from an Ivy League school before matriculation, graduate GPA is a 3.2. I took the MCAT twice with scores of (V6, P10, B12) and the 2nd (V8, P10, B11). I have a good amount of volunteer service as a rape crisis counselor and good recommendations.

I am considering re-taking the MCAT. My verbal score is the problem, however, when taking practice tests I have always scored in the 10-12 range. For some reason when I take the real exam my score drops. Any suggestions with this would be great.

Thanks for any help!

Hey, I didn’t want you to think you were being ignored. This subject was beat to death before you arrived. May I suggest you do a search through the forum. I am certain you will find a lot of great info on MCAT’s. I saw one recently that was really great. Take care.

Welcome to OPM. I’d love to know more about your motivation for medicine. It’s great that you’re completing your PhD - what’s driving you to pursue an MD after it? I ask because I’m interested, and because it’ll likely be relevant to the whole application process.

Of course, it’d be impossible to give you any real odds on admittance, even if we had the full information. As Kimberly said, definitely take the time to browse around the forums here and see what you can see - there’s a whole lot of good info from people who’ve tread this path before.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is something that I found useful when I was applying:

Any given school dictates whether I get in to that school, it’s true. But only I determine whether I get in to Med School. And I won’t let anything stop me.

… and I think if that’s the attitude you carry, and you can show your qualifications and your personality, your chances are pretty good.

From all the research I’ve done I would say that if you went for schools where you fell into the average or just below (maybe DO schools?) and just really tried hard there is always a chance.

I had a friend get into a school with a 3.75 but a 23 MCAT! She did post-bacc and sold herself really well on her essay and at the interview.

Check the forums on MCAT for advice on that.