need quick advice, please help!

Surprisingly, I received a phone call from my top choice school that I have been accepted off wait-list and they would offered me a 10K per year scholarship. The catch is… I have decide by tomorrow. I have set my mind to go to another school (pretty new) where I have been offered a full tuition scholarship. The news is shocking to me, and I feel unprepared to make a decision. Both schools are in the same area, and of course my original top choice school is more established with good reputation. Considering both scholarships, the difference between these two schools will be around 75K for 4 years. I like both schools but was more impressed with the facility at the more established school during my interview. I am pretty torn right now and would love to hear everyone’s opinion. Is facility/reputation worth the 75K difference? What would you guys choose?

O_O

I am in no way shape or form in a position to give advice because I can only DREAM for the indecisiveness your experiencing right now. A huge congrats to you.

If I were to say something about your choice, while I get the wait list school is the school you wanted originally, a full scholarship is nothing to shake a stick at. You must have really impressed them to make such an offer. If it were me, I would go with the school that ‘wanted’ me first and wants me at their school so bad that they offered me a full ride. That is deeply impressive. But that’s just me and our situations may be different. Scholarship or not, I am determined to go to medical school. Do you think you could mention to them that you are torn because another school has offered you a full scholarship? It might influence them to do the same…

Sorry if I couldn’t help, but again–Congrats! And best of luck whatever you choose.

Thanks for your reply. Don’t get me wrong,I am extremely grateful for the acceptance, but I just wish that I have more than 24 hours to think through such an important decision. I remembered this time last year, I was anxiously waiting for my MCAT score, and did not see much hope in med school application. I would have laughed so hard if someone had told me that I will actually have more than one options. It is so hard to believe that I am actually going to be in med school in a couple of months. Good luck to you too!

If you felt both were a good fit then I would go for the less expensive school.

Go where the money is. After dealing with physicians coming out of school for 9 years… you will be a doctor at the end of either journey. Don’t take the debt! You’d already gotten used to the idea of the full scholarship school–I’d just stick with it. It’s a huge gift, and you will do great there!

Caveat–that’s what I’D do, because I abhor debt, and any chance to go to med school for free kind of sounds like the lottery to me.

So it’s just my opinion… congratulations, though! That’s awesome news. I am so proud of you!

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum from Carrieliz. If anyone ever offered me my dream, I would take my dream in a heartbeat and not give a damn about the cost. Too many near death experiences…and as another member just posted, life can change in a heartbeat. You don’t ever want to be in a position where you look back, and have regrets over having turned down the experience of a lifetime. A dollar bill is a worthless piece of paper. A memory? An Experience?? Irreplacable.

I hope to be in your spot. I never have been but my prior life in law enforcement gives me a pretty good handle on quick decision making. Your statement seems to show you leaning towards the more established school. Have fun! You did it!

A full tuition scholarship is bank. Think of the debt that you will not have.

First congratulation! Second, this is a tough call.

The best advise I can give you is the one I’d give myself; read the book, not the cover. A great facility does not yield better aducation.

Who is the faculty? What research is done in the school? Which school are you likely to be more succefull at?

What us the teaching method? How their student match?

Compare an contrast chart also works

Best and good luck!

Liron

Congrats Apple.

I’d also look at what will happen down the road (i.e. residency placements and so on). The debt is also something to factor in. 75K is quite a lot of money (especially if you factor in interest when you pay that back). It’s enough to weigh heavily in the balance. But they are other considerations of course.

No matter what, you a have a nice choice. Enjoy.

• segallv Said:
First congratulation! Second, this is a tough call.

The best advise I can give you is the one I'd give myself; read the book, not the cover. A great facility does not yield better aducation.

Who is the faculty? What research is done in the school? Which school are you likely to be more succefull at?

What us the teaching method? How their student match?

Compare an contrast chart also works

Best and good luck!

Liron

I would say this is the best advice. but if you find that you still can't decide, then go with the full boat. but all I can do is the same as everyone else here and tell you what I would do.

Do you mind posting your stats? I'm curious what a full scholarship profile looks like- I've been on SDN lately and the pre-meds there tell people if they don't have a 3.8 and a 35+ to not apply to MD schools and go to DO only. Either way congrats that's awesome!

PS I hope to see a decision in the A.M. when I get my coffee and log on.

First, I would like to apologize for my SDN-like post. I did not intend to contaminant our precious forum

Thanks for everyone’s valuable input. It seems that majority of people would choose a full ride instead of a more established school. The decision had to be made quickly. The more established school called me early next morning, and I accepted the offer of admission based on several reasons that may not be totally rational:

1. The mission statement of the new school which provided the full tuition scholarship is more primary care focused. While I feel that I will be generally happy in this school, I worry that I might be potentially limiting my residency choices. On the other hand, the more established school has a more “balanced” match list that might open more doors for me in the future.

2.From previous savings, I will not have to take out loans. My husband and I live a simple life and are not big spenders. In a way, this will be a very luxurious gift that I am giving myself to pursue my dream.

Earl- a word of advice if you don’t mind: stay off SDN! There is more to med school application than GPA and MCAT. It is absolutely a lie that people without amazing numbers will not be accepted by MD schools. That said, I will PM you my stats if you are still interested.

Congrats to you! I didn’t know about the mission statement of the schools and agree that I would, too, be torn. Sounds like you did exactly what was right for you. Best of luck to you!

P.S. I would love to know your stats too Pleeease

• Apple pie Said:
First, I would like to apologize for my SDN-like post. I did not intend to contaminant our precious forum

Thanks for everyone's valuable input. It seems that majority of people would choose a full ride instead of a more established school. The decision had to be made quickly. The more established school called me early next morning, and I accepted the offer of admission based on several reasons that may not be totally rational:

1. The mission statement of the new school which provided the full tuition scholarship is more primary care focused. While I feel that I will be generally happy in this school, I worry that I might be potentially limiting my residency choices. On the other hand, the more established school has a more "balanced" match list that might open more doors for me in the future.

2.From previous savings, I will not have to take out loans. My husband and I live a simple life and are not big spenders. In a way, this will be a very luxurious gift that I am giving myself to pursue my dream.

Earl- a word of advice if you don't mind: stay off SDN! There is more to med school application than GPA and MCAT. It is absolutely a lie that people without amazing numbers will not be accepted by MD schools. That said, I will PM you my stats if you are still interested.

I'm sorry I was not trying to say you had an "SDN-like Post". yeah SDN is so crappy. and 98% of it is other Pre-meds who don't know anything.

But at times its comical, but I get caught up in it sometimes.

I would like it if you would PM your stats it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

That is completely awesome, from someone who is just starting pre med, you have given me a lot of encouragement (as a mom) I would also love to know your stats as well please!!