Need serious advice from like-minded OPMers!

So I’m two semesters away from completing my pre-reqs and since I moved here to TX a year ago I’ve been zapped of my motivation to continue. I honestly don’t like it here. Be it the traffic, people, weather, etc…I want out!

This has been affecting me so much that I’ve lost much of my motivation for school and study (never had this problem in AZ) I also feel pretty burned out at work as well. No drive, no desire to even workout anymore (I’m super health and active, btw…)

I need out of this city, I need a change of pace, I need to be revitalized again. Reinvigorated for the passion that I have set out to do over 2 years ago.

My question is this:

Should I stick it out here in Houston, finish my classes, take MCAT, and apply next year?

Or I was thinking moving up North somewhere; maybe a change of scenery will do the trick. I would like to try Lubbock (TTech seems like a good school, lower population, cooler climate…)

I always wanted to go to Colorado but then I would have to start all over again with the whole state residency thing. This has proven to be quite the heartache not to mention expensive to boot!

I do not have any children or wife or commitments here in Houston or TX for that matter. I work in healthcare so acquiring a job is not that hard for me, even in this economy.

For the record: I came to TX through word of mouth that there is a higher probability for acceptance to med schools for in-state residents and the cost of tuition for in-state is remarkably low.

Bottom line is this: I’m mentally and emotionally tired, bored to tears, lonely, and depressed.

I desperately need some advice on what is the next best course of action to take.

Advice anyone???

(My apologies for the ramblings, I have been holding this in for quite a few weeks now…)

I don’t have any words of wisdom to offer, but just my own experience to share. Nearly three years ago, I actively planned a move to TX, looked for and got a job offer from the Austin Water Utility (I’m assuming stress-free, 9-5 type of desk job completely different from what I’m going through now.) I chickened out and some days do regret it, especially because of this:

• Julio Cesar Said:
*For the record: I came to TX through word of mouth that there is a higher probability for acceptance to med schools for in-state residents and the cost of tuition for in-state is remarkably low.*

I might be wrong, but I thought that TX law requires the UT schools to matriculate 90% of residents and only 10% OOS? That would make your chances pretty good if you're a TX resident. And of course, the tuition is insanely low compared to other places. But I do understand what you've described with regard to incompatibility with a particular place. Keep in mind that even though you're a TX resident, you might end up moving elsewhere for an acceptance (DO - most are private) and you might also have to do the same for residency. Good luck whatever you decide.

Hi, I moved to Austin, Texas from London, UK(I am from Russia originally). I thought I wouldn’t enjoy living in a small town but it turned out to be great: it never takes me longer than 15-20 min to get anywhere. Since I work in the hospitals, I don’t sit in traffic. After living in NYC, I don’t even consider it traffic. It’s a great place for kids too. I feel incredibly sad at the possibility of moving anywhere in Texas. They talk about opening a med school here but in about 10 years! So, if you need a change of scenery, Austin is a great town. I found it incredibly easy when you have a lot going on in life. Since you are not so far away from your goal, maybe doing something drastic like moving out of state turn out to be just as stressful and it is best to find a middle ground( like moving to a better, much more efficient and greener town).

Well I definitely understand your feelings!!! However, I would like to give your a few pointers about the lubbock area. I just recently finished my doctorate in Audiology there. The area is definitely kind of laidback, rent is cheaper, you still have places to hang out like the “Depot District” Where most of the bars are. The have a decent football team and an Ok basketball team. They also have a $6 drive in movie theatre which is open on the weekends. The best thing I would suugest you do is take a weekend trip their some time before you move. The med/Allied health students have a wonderful facility and they always making updates (new snack bar by the financial aid office, longer hours in the library and cafeteria) to accomadate the students.It really provides the right amount of discipline for you to be able to succeed in school and have a nice private life.

The only thing I hated was the fact that it is six hours from Dallas and 2 hours from New Mexico, but if you can sacrifice that toaccomplish your dream of becoming a doctor then it is definitely worth it.

Well I definitely understand your feelings!!! However, I would like to give your a few pointers about the lubbock area. I just recently finished my doctorate in Audiology there. The area is definitely kind of laidback, rent is cheaper, you still have places to hang out like the “Depot District” Where most of the bars are. The have a decent football team and an Ok basketball team. They also have a $6 drive in movie theatre which is open on the weekends. The best thing I would suugest you do is take a weekend trip their some time before you move. The med/Allied health students have a wonderful facility and they always making updates (new snack bar by the financial aid office, longer hours in the library and cafeteria) to accomadate the students.It really provides the right amount of discipline for you to be able to succeed in school and have a nice private life.

The only thing I hated was the fact that it is six hours from Dallas and 2 hours from New Mexico, but if you can sacrifice that toaccomplish your dream of becoming a doctor then it is definitely worth it.

Just saw this post… I wouldn’t act in haste. ANYONE who survives summer in Houston can tell you that it comes with a general sense of apathy and ‘bleh.’ It’s hot. It’s ridiculously humid. It’s gross. It makes people cranky… Been there. Done that. It is NOT a fun place to be, especially right now. (Go outside to get the mail…go inside and take a shower…:wink:

Hang in there. Focus on the end goal.

Having said that, I’ve lived in a city that I couldn’t stand, and I only made it a year before moving. It affected everything–mood, spirit, relationships, health…and I felt like I was suffocating. Moving was an extremely healthy step for me. So, if you give it another season, let cooler heads prevail, and you still can’t breathe? Maybe the move is a good idea. Just don’t make any decision like that on impulse…

Good luck! Don’t give up… you are so close!

I’m with those that say hang in there. Keep the 25 yard goal in focus. One of the main reasons I lost focus for the last few years was my job was horrible. I could hardly get out of bed much less focus on school or anything else. It was horrible. Seminary was a welcome reprieve but as I was going at night it didn’t change work. It just helped giving me “spiritual” things to read, write on, and focus. Sort of a really expensive spiritual distraction.

So just keep the goal in focus. Don’t let your current circumstance fog your goals. Revisit your goals daily, heck even every hour. Keep them in front of you and when the “blahs” hit, say to yourself THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!

It is not a sprint and it is not guaranteed that another place will change your outlook. Remember that the grass is greener simply because of the richer manure…

In response to Dr. Cee

Lubbock…dry when compared to Dallas. Small town with dust storms (watch the allergies). You’ll do your rotations at the attached hospital with occasional visits to the one across the street. Some rotate up to Amarillo while others go to Midland. People that are from Lubbock LOVE Lubbock while others ~ well, you’ll find out for yourself.

Hope it works out!!

As an AZ native I am confused beyond words how you can feel more apathetic in TX than in the neighboring desert.

However… I understand. I did not apply to a single school in AZ, despite U of A’s strong desire to enroll a majority of in-state students, and the presence of two DO schools. I could not stand the idea of another 4 years in the desert, and all the schools are in the southern portion of the state.

I chose to apply to over 20 schools, selecting only those in states I could imagine living in and was thrilled to end up in WV, in a beautiful tiny town full of TREES and animals that are not poisonous by default.

Don’t make the decision lightly, and be sure that you’ll qualify as a resident in time for application. But know that you’ll be disqualifying yourself from all the TX schools with a move. And consider choosing a state that has more than school to apply to, as it definitely would boost your odds.

GOOD LUCK!

My thoughts on Texas: HATED Dallas. HATED Houston. LOVED Austin. LOVED the Gulf Coast. The night life and the alternative community in Austin kept me from “throwing the baby out with the bathwater” in terms of the entire state of Texas. I am just a Northeastern Yankee sort of a girl and CHOOSE to not live where there is no change of seasons. I,too, am not saddled by mortgage or marriage or children at this point. I am just waiting to see where the next step in the journey will take me, and keeping my fingers out of the mix. I figure, where there’s a will, there’s a way, so am applying to several “reach” schools just to see what filters down from the Divine Mind of the Universe. Since I know I am borrowing the WHOLE shot, I figure “go big or stay home”. Everything is sweetened by RISK. Just Having blind and complete faith that I will be put where I need to be, and consequently, will be provided for, no matter where that may be. Sometimes it is a huge relief to relinquish “the plan” and just see how it all shakes out. I know for my 28 year career, the willingness to move if necessary and not stay locked and loaded in one geographical area greatly advanced my career and opened a lot of doors for me. This is maybe not the advice others would give, but it is my experience, strength and hope in regards to contemplating a move.

Thanks for the responses y’all! Honestly it really helped to clear my head and prioritize my decisions. I can finish up two easy semesters at UH. I just need to find ways to distract myself and dissociate from this situation.

I’m working on transferring to a stand alone emergency care center. Census seems lower and maybe I’ll have a little more time to breath, lol!

I’m sorry I have no advice for your situation, Julio. However, I did just want to lend my support and let you know my thoughts are with you. Environment is a big deal to me so I cannot imagine the pain and ennui you are feeling at being somewhere that does not feel like “home.” Hang in there, don’t make any hasty decisions, and always feel welcome to come here and voice your frustrations! Best of luck!

• shanport7300 Said:
I'm sorry I have no advice for your situation, Julio. However, I did just want to lend my support and let you know my thoughts are with you. Environment is a big deal to me so I cannot imagine the pain and ennui you are feeling at being somewhere that does not feel like "home." Hang in there, don't make any hasty decisions, and always feel welcome to come here and voice your frustrations! Best of luck!

Thank you soooo much for your kind words Shanport. And everyone else on here that has chimed in. I means a lot to me; more than you know.

Thank You. ^_^

Hiya,

Well I live in NYC area, but have known that feeling here as well. How is your life outside of work/school? It sounds to me like you have been very focused on your career, but perhaps have been letting your personal/internal life languish a little.

Something that has helped me through periods of listlessness is working on personal fitness goals, like signing up and training for a 10k. And group fitness classes, like yoga/etc, can be a great way to meet new people if you’re feeling a little lonely there.

Or, I don’t know what your spiritual inclinations are if any, but going to meditation classes was one of the best things I ever did for my emotional well-being after I moved to NYC and was in a rut. Perhaps it might even be worth it to find a counselor to talk to?

Just a few thoughts to share!

-Lucy