Need Some Advice/Motivationin

So I have not posted here in a while. I believe my last post was in Sep 2012 when I decided to take this roller coaster ride called applying to medical school. I had to retake physics and Ochem…A’ced them without a problem. A little more background: I am a physician assistant, paramedic and on a number of highly selective special teams (ie: I provide medical coverage at significant events and I’m on the State Police Urban Search and Rescue Team). In addition I teach paramedic students as well as all American Heart Association courses. I just got back from an amazing medical mission in Guatemala as well (I highly recommend everyone goes on at least one).

My AMCAS GPA is 3.48 in undergrad and 3.05 in grad school (we had an Honors, High Pass, Pass system which AMCAS did not account for the possibility of B+, etc).

I have been building a relationship with my top choice program and met several times with the dean and director of admissions. Heck…I even had to care for a patient at their admissions seminar.

Now the thorn in my side. I studied 5 months for the MCAT, TPR, two tutors and I took a leave from work. End result of my money and extremely hard effort --> 24 (8 across the board). Very disappointing since I was scoring 10 and 11 in Bio and Verbal.

I applied early to my top choice MD program before this came out. I am also applying DO.

Where do you think I stand? I’m kind of freaking out a little.

Thanks for everyones input in advance.

I’m kind of in the same boat as you. I scored a 23 last year. Which forced me this year to actually quit my FT job, so I can better focus on the MCAT. Its a ton of material especially, for people like us who haven’t seen this in a while. I’m currently studying right now for it. I think a 24 is going to be hard to sell. Idk how you did well on the practice tests, but messed up on the real thing. Usually there’s only a couple point differential. Did you time the practice tests? Did something really, really weird happen on test day? Perhaps you should think about re-taking, IMHO. KIT.

The MCAT beast can be different (for you) on any given day. I would say look back on what you had issues with during your first MCAT, do a little reviewing until you’re comfortable again, and retake it if you can spare another part of your soul. You’ll probably see different topics that you may or may not be better at on the 2nd go around. If you’re going to do it, the sooner the better with the changes coming down and the MCAT deadlines for this cycle looming.

Sounds like you have a really legitimate background that can help you recover from a lower-than-average score. However, keeping the 24 will only hurt you if you have your heart set on the MD program. Not impossible with a 24, but the stats are leaning against you.

Thanks for all the advice. I would love to go to my top choice (as anyone would), but I also really like the DO philosophy and would be perfectly happy there as well. Hopefully, they will see past a crummy score. I am considering a retake in November…really frustrating though after the time, effort and money I put into this first attempt.

Hi there!

Don’t be discouraged. Your background holds a lot of merit. If you cast a wide net, you’re very likely to land a spot somewhere. Have you been applying? Any luck?

Well…I’m glad to come on here with some good news. I revised my MCAT study strategy and was able to get a 30 (P 8 V 12 B 10), huge improvement from my original 24.

I think I’m in a pretty good spot but my only worry is I’m so late in the application cycle. Any thoughts? Thanks for all the help thus far! Happy Holidays!

Have you put in an application yet for this cycle? There are deadlines (end of Nov maybe?) for AMCAS and some schools won’t take MCAT scores after a certain date either. I think the no later than for AACOMAS is in January. However for schools with rolling admissions, the earlier you apply the longer your app can compete. It may be too late this year if you haven’t started yet.

I submitted a DO secondary in dec last year and got accepted, but that was a secondary.

You don’t have to click submit when the cycle opens, but if you apply next year try to submit as soon as you’re ready (primary anyway).

I just wanted to add an update for anyone who followed this thread. I have been accepted to my top choice DO program plus one other and I am on the “priority wait list” at my top choice allopathic program. Dreams do come true! Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this forum, it has been truly helpful. So happy this process is over and I can start working towards becoming a doctor!

Brad - congratulations!!! I felt sure with your strong background you would be a very desirable applicant.

Keep up the good work!

Kate

@Kennymac wrote:

The MCAT beast can be different (for you) on any given day. I would say look back on what you had issues with during your first MCAT, do a little reviewing until you’re comfortable again, and retake it if you can spare another part of your soul. You’ll probably see different topics that you may or may not be better at on the 2nd go around. If you’re going to do it, the sooner the better with the changes coming down and the MCAT deadlines for this cycle looming.

Sounds like you have a really legitimate background that can help you recover from a lower-than-average score. However, keeping the 24 will only hurt you if you have your heart set on the MD program. Not impossible with a 24, but the stats are leaning against you.

More good news!! Accepted off the waitlist to my top choice MD program last week! I’ll be starting at Rutgers NJMS in August. I loved the DO model as well and the school I got into but NJMS had always been my dream and it means my family and I can stay at home. Keep pressing on to those still working on getting into med school!

Congrats and hope it is going well for you