I am 27, graduated with a MS in Bioengineering in 2005 and I have been working for a medical device company as a Scientist since then. I have just decided that I would like to try for med school, wanted to few years ago but was not able to. Here are my credentials:
GPA in MS : 3.42 (UT Arlington)
BS in Biomedical Engineering, India
3 years work experience
Volunteer experience: Homeless organization, hospice care (6 months)
First of all, does my background make a good contender for med school? My main concern is the GPA and relatively unknown school. Most importantly, I have read about how much easier your application experience can be if you have an advisor to work with.
- Can anyone tell me where I can find an advisor to help me navigate through this complex process?
- How do I find out what other premed courses, if any, I need to take?
- Any tips on devising a study plan for someone working full time. I plan on taking the test Apr 2009.
Pre-med courses: I have done the following in undergrad.
- 1 yr chem (org and gchem) with lab
- 1 yr physics with lab
- 1 sem human biology and physiology with lab
- Clinical engineering
- 6 months internship in a hospital in India
- 2 yrs Calculus
In addition, we had extensive phy, bio and chem with labs in high school (11 and 12 grades in India)
In MS I took the following courses:
- Cell Biology
- Human anatomy and physiology
If these are not enough, I can still take courses at a community college, etc before the application opens up.
Someone just scared me saying I should drop the idea. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!