New guy, old guy

So I wasn’t 100% sure where to put this so I figured general discussion was a good start. Fist off let me introduce myself and give you all a little bit of my background. My name is Shane, I am currently serving in the U.S. Army in Afghanistan and I am 39 years old. I knew a long time ago that I wanted to be a doctor but life just got in the way. I was recently looking into the Military IPAP (Interservice Physician assistant program) when our Doc told me that if I had the will to become a Doctor then that’s what I should do. He enlightened me to the fact that even after school, internship, and residency it would be likely that I could still work for some 20 years (assuming I work till I’m 70). So Here I am.

Issues:

The first main issue is that the bulk of my classes were taken in 1995-1997 then I took some time off from college (that Life thing happened) and the rest of my classes were spread out from 2002 till 2010 when I finally received my BS. One kicker is that even though I took a ton of different Biology classes and lots of chemistry classes (I got my Associates as a Medical Lab Tech) never took Organic (well that’s not completely true… I did take Organic 1, Got a A but can’t remember what school I went to to take it… You see I needed that one class to get into Thomas Jefferson and the school I was going to didn’t offer it when I needed it, so it was the one and only class I took at that school. I guess that’s ok though, because I probably need to take it again anyway.

So here’s my plan (God willing). I get back from Afghanistan in September and before next year I need to get Organic 1 and 2 in somewhere (don’t care where), I need to take an MCAT prep course, take the MCAT and apply to several Medical Schools. If all goes as planned (and it never does…) I will be starting my first year of Medical School at the ripe old age of 41 in 2013… If I can’t cram all that in next year then it’s 42 and 2014 (and I even think that’s getting a tad bit old to be going to Med school… Opinions)…

So with all that said; I’m sure that other have been in my shoes (at least I hope so) and succeeded and I would surly love to hear some insights, opinions, comments, and criticisms from the peanut gallery.

Thanks for taking the time to read this (assuming you did read this…),

Shane

Read the following links:

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showpost.php?po…

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showpost.php?po…

Hi Captain_D and welcome.

• Captain_D Said:
I will be starting my first year of Medical School at the ripe old age of 41 in 2013... If I can't cram all that in next year then it's 42 and 2014 (and I even think that's getting a tad bit old to be going to Med school...

I don't. I just turned 45 this month and I'm in med school.

I'm also prior service - 10 years active duty Air Force. I'm currently in the Navy HPSP.

I plan on applying for the HPSP but I would really like to revert back to the Navy (I served 5 years enlisted from 90-95). Big issue my wife an I are trying to figure out right now is how we are going to afford to live while I’m in school. One good thing is that we are debt free but we will have to move in order for me to attend any medical school, so my wife will be forced to quit her job. So money will be tight… I wonder how people do it this late in life??? If I don’t get the HPSP all I will have is my Guard check and my Post 9-11 GI Bill. I’m sure my wife will find a new job where ever we land but times, oh they will be tough…

Shane -

Welcome on board!! It’s probably a good idea to retake Org Chem I (prior to Org Chem II!), but bear in mind you will eventually have to obtain transcripts of EVERY college course you ever took as part of your application. So start accumulating a file now of how to get all those transcripts - send away for a copy for yourself so you know what you have to work with and you will have what you need when it comes time to enter the courses into the AAMC or AACOMAS application, and hopefully it won’t be too laborious to get another copy sent to them.

Just a heads up.

Kate

After doing a little more research and talking to the Army and Navy Medical recruiters I have decided that trying to attend in 2013 might be a little too ambitious. I will not be getting back from Afghanistan until late October so the Fall semester is out for retaking Organic 1. I am going to try and pick up Organic 1 in the spring (if I can find it offered anywhere) but if I can’t find it I am going to take a creative writing course to help me with the writing sample portion of the MCAT and admissions essays. I also intend to retake Calculus because I remember nothing from that class. Then I will take Org 1 and Org 2 in Fall 13 and Spring 14 (respectively). The plan will be to start Med School in the Fall of 14.

I figure that I’ve been out of school for a while and even though I am going to study hard for the MCAT and take a prep class it couldn’t hurt to do some basic core refresher classes. My GPA in school was good now I just need to back it up with a good score… (I’ll be happy with a 31P or better).

Sounds like a good prep plan. But the application process is such that when one applies in the spring, it is for fall of the following year. So if you finish in sping 2014 and take MCAT’s then, and apply, you can expect your application to be processed by late june, early July, and get invited to submit secondary applications perhaps in August, and interviews between August-Sept and December-January, hearing acceptances after interviews for DO schools and not till March 2015 for MD schools–for admission in fall of 2015. This application/interview year is referred to as a “glide year”, and doesn’t affect students going straight from their bachelor’s degrees to med school because they apply in their junior year of college.

I didn’t know about this delay when I started out. Something you have to plan far regarding employment, and further med school prep (higher level courses, research, volunteering, shadowing).

Kate

Unless you really want to, I wouldn’t bother retaking Calculus. It won’t play into the MCAT at all.

Lynda

• LJSimpson Said:
Unless you really want to, I wouldn't bother retaking Calculus. It won't play into the MCAT at all.

Lynda

Thanks,

Shane,

Inshallah!

Check out “HSCP” for Navy, it is a well hidden program. Active E-7 pay, BAH and benefits, calculated on your years of service-yes, all E and O years. 4 years of school count 1 for 1 as Active years, so you get that credit plus 1/2 of years credited for each year of commissioned time you have already served.

E-7 may scare you, but I am an O-5 that is “all in” for this program. The Navy Admiral that designed it personally tell me he designed it for those of us with operational experience. The mil-med world needs tactical operators as Docs. I hear a 20 year SEAL Master Chief is in the program this year.

Stay safe and get home to start the Rest of your life.

Cheers, Buzz

Is HSCP the Navy equiv to HPSP for Air Force or are those 2 diff programs?

I am currently 0-3 Air Force, getting out in Fall with plans to go to med school with my GI bill in 2014. I had considered HPSP and rejoining. However, I know an exNavy enlisted now AF 0-3 and she really liked the Navy way of life better.

Any advice? Do you know if you can use old or new GI bill (I have ch30 but can change it to Post 9/11) along WITH HPSP?

Jill

“I need to take an MCAT prep course, take the MCAT and apply to several Medical Schools. If all goes as planned (and it never does…) I will be starting my first year of Medical School at the ripe old age of 41 in 2013… If I can’t cram all that in next year then it’s 42 and 2014 (and I even think that’s getting a tad bit old to be going to Med school… Opinions)…”

Who you callin’ “old”, Sonny? If all goes well as planned in my world, I will be a doctor at age 60! I am a firm believer in “never too old!”

• PharmDtoMD Said:
Is HSCP the Navy equiv to HPSP for Air Force or are those 2 diff programs?

PharmDtoMD,

No, they are entirely different programs. HSCP is a program that is unique to the Navy whereby you go through a health profession school as an E6 (PO1). If you are a prior officer or prior enlisted above E6 or exceed a certain GPA threshold, you go through as an E7 (CPO). When you graduate you go to Newport, RI for either DCO (2 weeks for prior officers) or ODS (5 weeks everyone else), then get a Navy commission. You receive full active duty pay and benefits while you are in school (at E6 or E7 pay) based on however many years of service you have. It is not a scholarship. You receive the same tution assistance that active duty people receive (usually pays 90% of tuition up to some pre-defined threshold limit for a maximum of 3 classes/semester). It is usually not nearly enough to cover full cost of attendance unless you are getting in state tuition at a public school in a low cost-of-living area and even then you will still have to take out student loans. There is no reimbursement for books, fees, or equipment. This program is not available to students who have no prior military service. A classmate of mine (former Coast Guard officer) is in this program.

HPSP is a scholarhip for health professions students common to the Army, Navy, and Air Force. In addition to paying tuition and required fees, your books and equipment are reimbursed (less sales tax). You receive a monthly stipend for living expenses, currently $2088, with no benefits, for 10½ months out of the year. The stipend is much less income than an active duty E6 or E7 salary, but you will be less dependent on loans. The remaining 1½ months out of the year, you get full active duty pay and benefits at the O1 rate (non prior service), O1E rate (prior non-commissioned service), or your last held rank (if prior commissioned service was O2 or above) and also based on years of service. You typically attend DCO/ODS between 1st and 2nd year of your program. This program is open to both students with prior service and students without prior service. The scholarship increments are: 4 years, 3½ years (Army only), 3 years, and 2 years. I am currently in this program.

• PharmDtoMD Said:
I am currently 0-3 Air Force, getting out in Fall with plans to go to med school with my GI bill in 2014. I had considered HPSP and rejoining. However, I know an exNavy enlisted now AF 0-3 and she really liked the Navy way of life better.

Any advice? Do you know if you can use old or new GI bill (I have ch30 but can change it to Post 9/11) along WITH HPSP?

Jill

In theory you could use the GI Bill with HPSP, but in practice you probably would not. HPSP covers most cost-of-attendance expenses and you get a $20,000 bonus to cover miscellaneous expenses over your 4 years of school on top of your annual stipend/reserve pay. Using the GI Bill would only make sense if you were in the Navy HSCP since it would reduce the amount of student loans you would have to borrow.