new kid on the block

Hi Everyone:

Very happy to have found this site! So I am thinking of medical school and have a lot of questions that maybe–a few–can be answered here. I am an RN and have a BSN from an ivy league school. I have been reading a lot about GPA’s and mine is 3.19. I have all the sciences, but they are C’s and B’s. Do they not look at the school one went to? Also what are my chances with my GPA? I have a lot more questions. But will start here. Thanks and looking forward to hearing about the process!

Dorothy, welcome to OPM!

Your GPA, while not great, isn’t all that bad either. This is particularly true for D.O. schools who also calculate your GPA with what’s called, “grade forgiveness” (i.e. you retake organic chem II getting an A, they replace your previous C when they calculate overall gpa and your very important BCPM gpa.) BCPM stands for biology, chemistry, physics and math which seems to be important on it’s own.

There’s been a lot of discussion on this site and others about whether or not the school you went to seems to matter as far a your GPA is concerned. The general consensus I get from people is…not really. I think it can have a little effect, but typically more in “tie breaker” kind of situations. For instance, you got a physics degree from M.I.T. and had a 3.7 gpa and I had a physics degree from Noname U. and a 3.7, they’d probably opt for you. For that matter, it doesn’t really seem to matter too much what undergraduate degree you have either. This dismays some people who feel as though their particular degree from their particular university was extremely challenging and graded harshly, while other degrees and universities are perceived as being “less difficult.” But, in my eyes, it seems fair. After all, grades and degrees are a very subjective thing. Some professors curve, some don’t, some universities grade harshly, some don’t. Really, I think med schools are, by in large, right to do this. However, there does seem to be a “general” preference for university over community college.

The benefit which will be huge for you is the fact that you’ve got real experience as a nurse. I’m not going to down play physician shadowing, because it’s important, but there is a big difference between actually taking care of somebody and performing “observation.” At least with you, med school admissions committees would know that you know what you’re getting yourself into.

So…that leaves the MCAT. Are you planning on retaking any of your previous coursework to prepare for the MCAT and possibly raise your GPA? Or are you going to do an MCAT review course or self study?

Best of luck to you!

Dan

• dorothy1966 Said:
Hi Everyone:

Very happy to have found this site! So I am thinking of medical school and have a lot of questions that maybe--a few--can be answered here. I am an RN and have a BSN from an ivy league school. I have been reading a lot about GPA's and mine is 3.19. I have all the sciences, but they are C's and B's. Do they not look at the school one went to? Also what are my chances with my GPA? I have a lot more questions. But will start here. Thanks and looking forward to hearing about the process!

1) May I suggest that the first thing you do is confirm that the sciences you took are the appropriate level. Often schools have a slightly less rigorous curriculum for nursing students. Your courses should have been at the level for the major in the subject (ie intro bio for bio majors, chem for chem majors, etc).

2) From your screen name I am guessing you were born in 1966 and likely graduated RN about 1990. Your courses may be considered dated by many schools and you may want to consider redoing them. Not only would get a chance your improve your GPA with a shining postbacc GPA, you would get ready for the MCAT

Excellent advice, Rich. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Judy