New mom going into med school

Hi all!

I am a new mom of a 7 month old. I am considering going to med school but am worried about all the what ifs.

My questions are: Are there any 30-somethings mom, with a family, going into med school? Or are in med school now? How are you doing it? How do you feel?

TIA!

Hi,

I’m a 29 year old mother of two. I have a 5 and 6year old. It’s difficult because I don’t have local family but you can do it.

THere’s a 30 something mom who graduated med school with me. She had 3 sons and 2 stepdaughters and had child #6 during her second year of med school.

She’s in residency now and expecting in December. Somehow, she’s done it without taking any breaks from school and still spending evenings with her family. Can’t vouch for how much sleep she gets…9-11 or 12 was study time at night, and she studied when she was up nursing the baby. Husband helped a lot with the kids and household. She still did the cooking as she likes to cook although she also taught her kids to make lots of stuff so sometimes they or dad cooked also. Very collaborative household.

Kate

Thanks you two! I assume it’s possible, but it’s always great to know people who’ve done it!

Hi! I’m a MS2 in my 30’s, and a mom to an almost-2-year-old. It’s definitely possible! Unfortunately, my school is several states away from both my family and my spouse’s, which has been tough, but the school has been super supportive (as have my classmates). Having a pass/fail curriculum doesn’t hurt either!

I’ve had to learn to aggressively manage my time, and just accept that I will have to make both academic and family sacrifices all the time. But I feel that both I and my family will be happier in the long run on this path.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and good luck!

• ksyhe Said:
Hi! I'm a MS2 in my 30's, and a mom to an almost-2-year-old. It's definitely possible! Unfortunately, my school is several states away from both my family and my spouse's, which has been tough, but the school has been super supportive (as have my classmates). Having a pass/fail curriculum doesn't hurt either!

I've had to learn to aggressively manage my time, and just accept that I will have to make both academic and family sacrifices all the time. But I feel that both I and my family will be happier in the long run on this path.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and good luck!

Hi kshye,

Omg, that's awesome! It's so great to hear that from someone who's almost exactly in my shoes!

Is it possible to exchange email addresses?

Sure, I just sent you a PM.