New To Forums

Hi, everyone

I believe that I posted my introduction once before, but I don’t see it anywhere.

My name is Amy. I am right now an student at a community college. Next fall I will be starting the RT program. I have an amazing husband who is supporting me in my quest to become a doctor.

I was never a good student in highschool. I was even told by my teachers that I would not pass intro to Algebra, but I had to take it to graudate. After highschool I was planning to go straight to college, however I meet my husband who told me just to wait till I was ready. I am so glad I did. I am 23 years old, but already have made the deans list at the community college that I am at (passing all of my math classes with a 4.0!).

I Have a couple of question that I hope someone can answer.

1. how long does it take to pay off all the student loans once you become a doctor? I know for sure that I will be looking at over 100,000 in student debt.

2. What is the best BS degree to get, that will help me later on in med-school?

3. What is the hardest part of taking the MCATS?

I sure over the next months I will have more questions, so thanks to those ahead of time that can answer the above.
  • AmyLKNight Said:
Hi, everyone

I believe that I posted my introduction once before, but I don't see it anywhere.

My name is Amy. I am right now an student at a community college. Next fall I will be starting the RT program. I have an amazing husband who is supporting me in my quest to become a doctor.

I was never a good student in highschool. I was even told by my teachers that I would not pass intro to Algebra, but I had to take it to graudate. After highschool I was planning to go straight to college, however I meet my husband who told me just to wait till I was ready. I am so glad I did. I am 23 years old, but already have made the deans list at the community college that I am at (passing all of my math classes with a 4.0!).

I Have a couple of question that I hope someone can answer.

1) how long does it take to pay off all the student loans once you become a doctor? I know for sure that I will be looking at over 100,000 in student debt.

2) What is the best BS degree to get, that will help me later on in med-school?

3) What is the hardest part of taking the MCATS?

I sure over the next months I will have more questions, so thanks to those ahead of time that can answer the above.

Hi and welcome

IMO from what I know

there is not one degree that much better then another, it's mostly the GPA and SCI GPA that is important, for medical school they want the "Best of the Best" so if you have a 3.8 in archeology and a 3.8 sci GPA for the prereqs then this is viewed very well.

MCATS, take when ready and know there is no such thing as a "Practice MCAT" Take the review and do the practice Q's

Pay off the loans? LOL I have no idea yet,(I'm a MS III) my loans will be around 180k when done. I know I will be able to pay them off, homes cost more (up to 2x) then this loan now so it makes me feel better LOL.

Good Luck

Okay Amy. First, let me say welcome! Second, let me give my answers to your questions:

• Quote:

1) how long does it take to pay off all the student loans once you become a doctor? I know for sure that I will be looking at over 100,000 in student debt.

-- Most student loans can be refinanced into a program that will allow you up to 30 years to repay them The advantage of this is the smaller payment. The disadvantage the accumulating interest. HOWEVER, there is nothing to stop you from paying them off in less time; just make extra principal payments. The best thing about using the 30-year repayment plan is if you have a bad month and don't want to make extra payments, you only have the smaller payment to make.

• Quote:
2) What is the best BS degree to get, that will help me later on in med-school?

--I think the best degree for you to get is one that you will enjoy obtaining. It really doesn't matter what the subject matter is; what matters is that you do well. Everyone has to take the same prereqs and those can be outside your major. There are people in medical school that have degrees in everything from the fine arts to the toughest of the sciences. What is really important, like I said before, is that you enjoy your college courses. That will make it much easier to excel and move forward.

• Quote:
3) What is the hardest part of taking the MCATS?

Personally, I think any standardized exam is dependent upon your test-taking skills. I believe the best way to prepare is to do well in your prereq classes, finish them all before you do the MCAT, use a test prep course if you do have difficulty with standardized exams, and PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE! NEVER take the MCAT the first time just to see how you do or to see what it is like. There are many practice questions available without sitting for the actual exam.

Good luck as you move forward. And don't hesitate to post questions or comments. We are a big family and welcome new members with open arms!