New.....with a few questions

Hi,
I am so glad I found this place. This board is awsome and from what I have read in the last couple of days so are the people here.
I'll give a little background about me I was born in 1963 and graduated from high school in 1982 with a less than outstanding GPA. I then went to college for 2 years and again I didn't do very well. I have since taken a few classes at the local CC and did pretty well. I wasn't focused on anything except I have always had this interest and fasination with medicine. So I have decided to go for it. At times I wonder if I am crazy to be pursuing this at my age. The great thing is my husband supports ne.
I have a long road ahead of me. I was trying to explain to my hubby that I can have a degree in any areas as long as I get all the pre-requisites. He seems to think if I go for a biology degree it will help me more in med school. What do some of you think who have a biology or other science degree?
Anyways that's all for now. I sure wish I would of found this a few months ago so I could of attended the conference but I will be in Denver next year!!
Cathy

Hi Cathy,
it isn't necessary to have a biology degree, or a science degree for that matter, as long as you take all your prerequisites and do well in them. If you have an interest in another field by all means major in it, it will help you stand out from the crowd of bio majors.
Beth
(former anthro & English major)

What Beth said.

You can major in any field that you love. :slight_smile: You don’t have to major in a science. Med schools very much appreciate broadly educated applicants, and those who have nothing but sciences classes often don’t do as well in the process as those who have explored other educational opportunities.
Don’t worry about your major. Pick something that fascinates you. You’ll probably do well in it. "Work to your strength."
Cheers,
Judy

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the input. This board is awsome!!
It isn't that I don't enjoy science because I love biology!! I think I may just major in that. I was thinking that another major might get me my bachelors sooner but the more I thought about it it would probably take as long no matter what I major in. I have about 2 years of college from way back when. (20 years ago) Do credits even transfer after that much time?

I was also thinking of taking a few classes through extension or correspondance not the science but general ed classes that would be needed for the degree. Has anyone taken these classes and what universities have you gone to? I know that a lot of universities offer them.
Thanks
Cathy

Hey Cathy - I'm not sure how many credits your school will transfer in, but I had some that were 10 years old that transferred in no prob so I'm sure most of your GE's at least will transfer in.
I've taken a lot of my GE's thru online/extension classes. I loved them. Yes, you needed to be disciplined (although most of mine had set dates for assignments and stuff) but the online ones were a blast. All of mine were done thru my local community college, and Colorado's community college consortium. This summer I'm going to take my calc class through UC-Berkeley Extension tho. My university doesn't offer all that many online classes, but my biopsych class this summer is self-study. We only go in to take the tests. Peterson's has a pretty good search engine for distance educaction. Just make sure to do them through a regular university that you've heard of vs. a strictly online school.
Good luck!
–Jessica, UCCS (Univ of Colo - Colo Spgs)