Newbie that needs serious advice

Hi guys,

I am a thirtysomething career changer. I worked in marketing for years, and then to counter the despair I felt for selling people things they don’t need, I took an EMT class. I loved it, and I aced it. And I knew the hospital was where it was at. So I immediately started looking for tech jobs and taking prereqs for nursing, since I admired the nurses, their pay was decent, and if I felt like doing more I could become a nurse practitioner.

Lucky for me, I landed an awesome tech job that has given me insane amounts of clinical experience. Once a week, I also volunteered at another hospital. And I plugged away at my nursing prereqs, getting all As at my local community college.

Then tragedy struck: I fell in love with surgery.

So, here I am, wondering if I am completely crazy to be contemplating this path with my credentials:

The cons:

2.96 cGPA, with no science GPA to speak of, unless you count astronomy and a very silly physics course

A mediocre semester my second year, when I had mono

A truly terrible final semester, in which I got all As and one F. (Yes, really. Major family problems.)

Another failing grade at the school I went to finish up at, although the rest were As. (Chose to move in with said family, rather than away. Not helpful.)

The pros:

Every grade I’ve gotten as an adult has been an A, including Bio 1, A&P1 and A&P2.

I volunteer once a week at a local hospital.

My clinical job will get me ridiculous letters of recommendation when I leave.

I was valedictorian of my EMT class.

I’m applying to a postbac right now, but I am riddled with doubts. I have no doubt that I can ace the classes as an adult, if hard work can do it. I have determination that I never had before, and I am loving medicine. I also test really well, and I think if I have the knowledge from the postbac, I’ll be able to do well on the MCAT.

But is it even worth a shot with my horrible history? Please be frank. Optimism is lovely, but realism is more helpful in the long run.

Could be my packing-induced exhaustion, but your timeline isn’t clear to me. Do you have a bachelor’s degree already? How long ago were the courses that landed you that cGPA?

It’s easier to advise with a full picture, and some folks may be holding off on response because it’s not entirely clear on this post.

Thanks and good luck!

Just in general, a post-bacc with good grades will get you a cum GPA likely above 3.0 (which is important to avoid automatic grade cutoffs from looking at your courses) and since you have had very little science, a decent science gpa is in range.

I would not be deterred by current gpa - there are OPM’ers who have succeeded in being accepted to and completing medical school and residency with similar initial gpas. It is possible. The question is whether you can succeed at the courses. Hard work will get you pretty far, but working smart is also important. using all available resources.

Bestof luck!

Kate

Sorry I wasn’t clear–I posted that pretty late at night! I did get a bachelor’s in English from a very good school. And despite my erratic grades in undergrad, I’ve received an A in every class I’ve taken in the last five years. And you are correct, my sGPA will be good, since I barely took any science in college.

I’m not worried about succeeding in the courses. They will no doubt be extremely difficult, but I have confidence in both my ability to study and retain the information, as well as to figure out what’s the best/easiest way to get an A in the class. Working smart, as you would say. Because “easy” is not a word that goes with this long, crazy, challenging path we’re all on.

Thanks for the replies!

You can do it. I was in a very similar position:

See this thread.

Thanks for the inspiration, Olderguy!

Fyi, I had to Google “FUD,” and laughed out loud. My coworker and I just say “I’m going through my weekly crisis again.” Good to know there’s an actual term among the oldpremed crowd.

Rule 10: Beware of FUD – Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. FUD kills more premeds than GPA and MCAT combine.

I am happy to take credit for bringing this concept to OPM in a presentation I did at the 2009 conference

Link 10 Things Every OldPreMed Should Know)

I’d be happy to use a trademark icon if you had a button on here, gonnif…

Never dream big. Always dream HUGE! Yoda said “do or don’t do, there is no try.” BUNK!!! There is only try. Try your hardest and you will succeed.

• gonnif Said:
Rule 10: Beware of FUD -- Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. FUD kills more premeds than GPA and MCAT combine.

I am happy to take credit for bringing this concept to OPM in a presentation I did at the 2009 conference

Link 10 Things Every OldPreMed Should Know)

Big amen to this! It almost "killed" me as in I pushed back applying twice and almost never did it - but now I'll be starting this year! =)

Stay positive - sounds like things are going much better for you now than in undergrad and that should be helpful in your applications.