Newbie Today

Hi, I’ve been an RN for about 14 years now and want to finish my BS degree. (I have a AA degree in Nursing now). I have the burning desire now to go to Medical school. I currently practice as a Hospice RN. I have volunteered for Boy Scouts for about 8 years, I have gone to a camp for Hospice Kids as a volunteer for the past 2 years, I have practiced in infusion therapy and trauma nursing. My only worry is my age, 39.
I can become a Doctor if I can get into med school. My plan is a 3 year
residency in family medicine then off to practice in a rural area. I don’t much care about where. I don’t care where I go to school either.
I have a burning desire to do this and spend 25 years practicing.
My wife is 101% behind me.
I’m looking for thoughts, I plan to spend the next two years
finishing my BS and going full time. I’m a little scared but
people around me say that I should go for it.
Bill.

Yes it is certainly doable and we do have some prior nurses in medical school and finishing pre-reqs. You will have to get the pre-reqs out of the way as you finish your B.S. (but you already know this) and get good grades in those and take the MCAT. Good luck.

Thank You,
I have a 2-3 year plan to complete my BS and pre reqs for
applying to Med school. Before I thought I was too old to start this, but looking around the web and finding sites like this one has changed my mind. I do have a FIRE in me to become a Doctor. I did have on response on a news group who questioned my wanting to change my profession? I don’t see it as such a drastrict change from being a hospice nurse.
Not like I’m an auto mechanic or plumber, now that would be a change.
Bill.

Well, adcoms may (not all but some) question the change of why are you changing from nursing to physician. Although both professions deal with patients the model of care is not the same and the approach is different so yes, be ready for that question. It does not mean that nurses cannot become great physicians but with the shortage of nurses and the differences in patient approach/interaction it may very well come up…

You will also be asked why not a mid-level practitioner–like a nurse practitioner or physician’s assistant. You will want to compare the paths carefully and think carefully about why one or the other is the best for you.
Good luck, and welcome to OPM.
cheers
Joe

I just wanted to say CONGRATS and BEST OF LUCK! I’m not sure he said it, but it’s something I believe whole-heartedly–“whether you think you can or you think you can’t you’re right.” If it’s what you’re excited to do then by all means go for it. Of course, this is coming from someone who hasn’t stepped onto the actual path yet–but only three more months and I’ll be there!