Non-traditional student next steps

Graduated in 2019 with non-tradl nonscience double major and minor but completed all the pre-reqs. 3.77 total, 3.5 sgpa. Lots of volunteer/experience as a scribe, hospital volunteer and medical assistant. Should I pursue a masters or should I just aim for a high mcat and apply? Thanks.

I think it’s time to take the MCAT. From what I have heard from others, I don’t think that a Masters would benefit you much.

Study well, and good luck!

2 Likes

Hello!

A master’s degree is an investment in time and energy as well as money. Any decision to pursue an additional degree should be made seriously and not as a means to an end but as a part of the larger whole of who you are and where your career will take you.

Going directly to a medical program that will look at the big picture and evaluate your full potential and not eliminate you because of a bump in the academic road is a better financial investment, a better use of a student’s time, and gets you closer to your dream: becoming a physician.

We would not recommend obtaining a graduate degree as a “back-up” plan just in case you change your mind and decide to not go to medicine. The only exception to this rule is if you want to and can actually pursue another career as a result of your degree (MS in nutrition to become a nutritionist or MS in statistics to become a statistician). In conclusion, the best type of graduate degree to obtain prior to medical school is one that is specifically designed for premedical students. Only pursue different types of graduate degrees if you have a specific plan. If not, writing the MCAT and scoring a high score would be a better option.

Email us at info@manhattaneliteprep.com or call/live chat with us on our website if you need any MCAT Prep help! Thanks for your interest!

Manhattan Elite Prep