Nontrad Moms at interviews

Interesting to read these comments on illegal questions. When I first graduated and thought I would try teaching I was shocked at how many people insisted on asking these questions. I was really upset, too because you’re told that these are illegal and then here it is - and you’re a new applicant and have never interviewed before and maybe, even really want the job.
Looking back, I realize that I drove all over New England, spending my own money and time hoping to find a nice teaching job. I was very naive and idealistic, I guess, because I thought the schools would have been happy to interview me - I taught a very specialized subject and there weren’t too many applicants.
Instead, the majority asked these dreadful questions and these were the same schools that I completely had to cross off the list. As soon as they asked these questions, there would be this weird silence that hung in the air while they waited and I waited too. Sometimes we just looked at each other and didn’t say anything … <!–emo&<_dry.gif
I’m afraid I wasn’t very diplomatic in my earlier adulthood and hadn’t learned to be a sophisticated interviewee, so I ussually would say something like: 'you know that’s an illegal question … ’ at which point the interviewer would stand up and say, 'thank you for coming in …'
I might not have gotten the job but I definitely left with my self-esteem intact. Eventually, I met a really lovely principal who seemed completely decent and kind, and it was the BEST job I have ever had in my life. Coincidence? I think not.
I just hope I can remember to ‘act as if’ when I get to the medschools, but in the end I think the same philosophy must hold true.
One of the reasons I didn’t think to study medicine 20 years ago with my first Ugrad degree was because this kind of sexism was so much more incredibly aggressive then, and I didn’t think I could make it through the gauntlet of doublestandards and well, hostility towards women. Things have changed alot in 20 years.

Hi everyone, thought I’d add an update on this topic since I had another interview yesterday.
It was fantastic! No one challenged my suitability for med school based on motherhood. I did wind up talking a bit about my family, but it was always with regards to my career path, inspiration to be a doc, or friendly converstaion. (I wound up discussing the value of organized sports for kids with my first interviewer. laugh.gif) My second interviewer didn’t seem the least concerned about my age/family. He completely focused on my compatabilty with school.
I’m thrilled because these were exactly the kind of interviews I wanted. I got to talk about my qualifications and interests and ask questions about the school.
I was already very interested in this school and now it has moved even higher in my estimation. I would much rather attend a school that’s looking for the right “fit” among it’s students. cool.gif Kudos to UTMB

Theresa,
For those of us not familiar,where is UTMB?
Congrats! I have been following your interview progress.
Shirl

University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston

QUOTE (PNP2MD @ Aug 23 2003, 09:18 PM)
Theresa,
For those of us not familiar,where is UTMB?
Congrats! I have been following your interview progress.
Shirl

If you want more information, try the web site at www.utmb.edu.
BTW, I think UTMB is a great school. And, of course, I'm completely unbiased.
Take care,
Jeff Jarvis, MSIII
UTMB

Glad your UTMB interview went well Theresa! I really enjoyed interviewing there. Even though I didn't end up at UTMB, I think it would have been a great place to go.
Drop me a line sometime. Definitely want to meet up when you're at Baylor.
Pam

Hmmmm. I felt that I had to add my experience here as well. I interviewed for medical school some 15+ years ago as a non traditional, older student and I was hoping that certain questions were never ever being asked anymore. I guess not. When I was interviewed at the Medical College of Wisconsin (yes, I want to name the school), I was interviewed by a female faculty member who keep asking me what I would do if I accidently got pregnant during medical school! At that time I was unmarried and was appalled that anyone would make assumptions about the presence or absence of sexual activity in my life! I continually avoided addressing the pregnancy issue (how dare she would assume that I would accidently get pregnant when I am single, would she then expect me to terminate a pregnancy in order to demonstrate my desire for a medical career???). I just kept trying hard to reinforce to the interviewer that I would deal with any obstacles that came my way and nonetheless stay focused on my pursuit to train as a physician. Of course I was not accepted to this school!
Anyway, those type of questions were illegal then and it is still the same today.

I really hope I don’t get asked what I’ll do if I accidentally get pregnant while in school. “Well, if I accidentally got pregnant, I’d have some MAJOR explaining to do to my girlfriend.” Think that answer’d do it? biggrin.gif
Beth

Hey, Beth! I definitely think that answer would do! biggrin.gif
After all these years, I still am appalled that an interviewer would make assumptions about an applicant’s sexual activity/status. mad.gif

Illegal or not, after 4 different med schools (8 interviews) I can tell you with certainty that these questions will come up. Sometimes even prefaced with, “I know it’s illegal to ask, but…” Most of the time it was conversational and at the end of the interview. Just wanted to ask what my husband does or how old the kids are. (as opposed to the “how will you handle this” type of questions)
My 2 cents… be prepared with your answers and be comfortable with them. I’m ready to answer both the chatty questions and the challenging ones. I think the worst thing to do would be to get visibly upset or offended. Whatever your answer is, just be ready to give it calmly. If necessary, report any offensive questions to the admissions staff after the fact.
Now that I know what to expect, it isn’t as troubling as it was the first time. In some ways, I see it as an opportunity to show that I have thought about the possible obstacles I will face as a parent and a doctor. wink.gif I also see it as a chance to evaluate the med school. If they are agressive about my nontrad status being a hinderance, then maybe it isn’t the right school for me. tongue.gif

I agree with Theresa. Have your answer and be comfortable with it. All of my interviewers asked me about my plans to have a family (I'm married with no children). But I had the opposite issue. I explained that my husband had two children from his first marriage and that we had decided that we were not going to have children. I thought telling the truth would be the end of my application at some schools, especially at Vanderbilt where my interviewer and I had just finished discussing how his church (he was devoutly Sounthern Baptist) was sponsoring a refugee family from Albania (it was part of a discussion about my deployment to Bosnia). Anyway, I thought for sure that I wouldn't get in because I had no desire to procreate and thought my interviewers would view me as heartless. Tet I did get in, so tactful honestly is the best policy. I too was shocked the first time I was asked, but then I realized it didn't matter that they weren't supposed to ask it and that the best think to do was be honest in a non-apologetic manner.
Just thought I'd share my experience with this,
Tara

Hi,
Cynical laserguy here again. Whether or not you even have kids is, as Mary_Renard says, totally ILLEGAL and absolutely NONE of THEIR BUSINESS. AMCAS starts the ball rolling by asking the illegal question on the primary. Answer “0” children. It’s not an honesty contest, it’s a beauty contest and just having a child puts you at a serious disadvantage. You are competing with younger and cuter (definitely not smarter though!) boys and girls who don’t have the slightest responsibility or baggage in the world.
No interviewer will be on your side. Not the old MD or professor who thinks that geezers (over 30), especially women with children, don’t belong in med school at all. Not the student interviewers who will see you as their mom, and think you have no business in med school (who wants to have their mom as a classmate?). From what I’ve heard from candidates in your shoes, not even women professor/MD interviewers, especially middle aged women for whom your childbearing/career choices seem to be a direct challenge to their choices.

Laserguy
"From a school that is non-traditional friendly, yet only TWO pre-existing children from the several hundred students, and neither custodial"!!!

P.S. Mary is a Goddess to all us old students!

Uh, “goddess,” yikes. I’ll take it as a compliment I guess! I thought I was being presumptuous to tag myself (with my avatar) as an “Oracle”!
Please DON’T lie on your AMCAS! I have no idea why they ask how many kids you have, to be honest with you. And I agree that it opens up the door for discrimination. Maybe someday someone will challenge that. But in the meantime, answer the question honestly. Don’t forget you will have to give this information on financial aid forms and, well, it would be nice if the answers matched, don’tcha think.
And I’m sorry you had such tough experiences with interviewers, LaserGuy, but I think it’s a bit strong to say that NO interviewer will be on the side of an OPM. Too many of us have had too many other different experiences.
As for our competition - those traditional students aren’t necessarily carefree rich kids just waltzing into school. As an interviewer for my school I’ve met some pretty interesting traditional students who have had to deal with some very challenging situations in their lives. We don’t like them to generalize about us; we shouldn’t generalize about them.