Not the best week.

Hello everyone,

So I am more than a little ashamed to admit this but I am pretty close to a meltdown here. My first two tests in Physics and Chem this week did NOT go well. I have quite honestly felt like my head has been spinning since I started this semester. I feel totally overwhelmed by the large lecture settings and way behind the freshman in the class. (I had never been in a lecture hall before this semester and truth be told I sort of feel like a tornado dropped me off in OZ). At this point I am putting in hours and hours of study time every day but i am just not feeling that it shows (it definitely didn’t show in the tests) obviously I have not been doing the right type of studying. I have already been to see my Physics Prof. and I got some good advice from her and I feel like I could amend my study habits to learn the material better I even feel like I have a plan of action for that class. In the past two weeks I have signed up for all of the tutoring available and even hired an outside tutor for chem. However, I am terrified that I might be to late. Even if I can catch up I am have never been a good test taker and lord have mercy how can i expect to succeed in Med school or even O Chem if I am lost in the first 3 weeks of Gem Chem? So here i am thinking I might have been kidding myself to think I could do this and wondering if the new breakfast place down the block is hiring…

Im not sure what i am asking for here, maybe advice? wisdom? Id love to hear it if you have know of anyone who got off to a bad and overwhelming start and was able to pick themselves up and succeed. I really don’t want to have to drop these classes and start all over if I have any other choice (I’m not sure how that would go anyway) so i am sort of hoping that I might still be able to pull myself together…

Sorry to be a downer, I really and truly hope that everyone out there is having a safe and happy week.

Thanks for listening,

M

Gen Chem I began with a hideous D on the first exam for me. I had a professor who answered every question with “use your common sense” (no, i’m not kidding) and at office hours yelled at students for being stupid. I finished with a B, thanks to making a strict study plan and LOTS of time in the chem LRC.

You need to turn in every assignment, use your tutors often, and definitely do an exam post-mortem and FIGURE OUT WHY YOU DIDN’T DO WELL. Above all, do not keep using the same ineffective study methods thinking they will miraculously work. You must adapt - but having said that, you are adapting. You have a plan, and you have tutors. You can turn this around.

Short version? You have a good plan. Keep on trucking.

Good to know it has happened to someone else.

I think I was a little shocked to be so lost because I did so well in Bio and Trig (in a much smaller and less respected school) I know that I need to study differently for each class and I am ready and willing to make the changes, I am trying to figure out what those changes need to be.

My new goal is to do every last problem in the book in both classes. Any other ideas? Do you mind if I ask you what your strict study schedule was? Right now I find that I move very very slowly so it can take me several hours to get through the homework or practice questions and then it seems I hardly got anything done.

I thought I would feel like I had endless time but the days seem to be shorter than ever. Again thanks for the encouragement and any study advice you have would be more than helpful!!!

For both classes I set aside time each day to spend on them, no matter what. If I had unexpected things come up I still had to make that “study quota”. I took sanity breaks and slept. I don’t believe in pulling all-nighters.

For chem I did the reading and would do the practice problems in the book, then quiz myself with the previous day’s lecture questions (the professor didn’t take these from the book).

For physics I only read what didn’t make sense from lecture. But I did tons of practice problems and met with a tutor every Saturday for an hour or more. I knew a couple people in class and invited them to a Facebook group to ask and answer each other’s questions regarding the book problems and math issues.

So first semester is over and I would like to report that while I did not get A’s in either Physics or Chem I walked out of both classes after HORRIBLE first tests and lots and lots of tears and stress with solid a B+ in both classes. Considering I had almost convinced myself to drop at least one of these classes I am thrilled. (ok almost thrilled…I know this isn’t up to pre med standards but i feel much more confident going into next semester). It was unexpectedly difficult to find my footing this first semester but I am pleased to be able to confirm that hours and hours doing endless problems in the corner of the library DO pay off. Happy Holidays

Never let your grades dictate your emotional happiness. Only let progress dictate your happiness. It really isn’t healthy to have an approach where a D makes you cry, and an A makes you think it’s “mission accomplished.”

In my first semester of medical school, I failed my first 2 exams, but managed to pass. In this current term, I failed the first exam again.

If I were to evaluate my career goals or worth based on a grade, medical school would become an emotional roller coaster, and it would truly affect my happiness.

Part of the medical training process is desensitization - to teach us to continue on with the right course of action (studying/pursuing goals) despite negative outcomes.

When you are a practicing physician, it won’t be healthy to take an emotional hit on yourself when best intentions go awry.

raffster, I could not agree with you more. Part of what changed for me half way through the semester was the way I chose to handle the stress of the tests. Those lots of tears were in the first four weeks…After I faced the idea of failure head on and decided to keep working hard and see what happened rather run at the first sign that I might not be cut out for this, it got a bit easier to take those tests. I will admit that anxiety has been an issue for me in the past and it has certainly been a concern when I consider this path. I imagine that stress and anxiety will continue to be a struggle for me however I also believe I have the tools to manage them and hopefully grow from the experience : )

It sounds like this was a good first semester - in Raffster’s terms, significant progress. You learned, you adapted, you know better what to expect next semester. Well done. B+ is not something to be ashamed of…what were your classes’ mean, and how many would LOVE to have those B+'s?

Annette

PS: I find physics harder than o-chem, so don’t stress out before you even start that class.

• Mallory Said:
Hello everyone,

So I am more than a little ashamed to admit this but I am pretty close to a meltdown here. My first two tests in Physics and Chem this week did NOT go well. I have quite honestly felt like my head has been spinning since I started this semester. I feel totally overwhelmed by the large lecture settings and way behind the freshman in the class. (I had never been in a lecture hall before this semester and truth be told I sort of feel like a tornado dropped me off in OZ). At this point I am putting in hours and hours of study time every day but i am just not feeling that it shows (it definitely didn't show in the tests) obviously I have not been doing the right type of studying. I have already been to see my Physics Prof. and I got some good advice from her and I feel like I could amend my study habits to learn the material better I even feel like I have a plan of action for that class. In the past two weeks I have signed up for all of the tutoring available and even hired an outside tutor for chem. However, I am terrified that I might be to late. Even if I can catch up I am have never been a good test taker and lord have mercy how can i expect to succeed in Med school or even O Chem if I am lost in the first 3 weeks of Gem Chem? So here i am thinking I might have been kidding myself to think I could do this and wondering if the new breakfast place down the block is hiring...

Im not sure what i am asking for here, maybe advice? wisdom? Id love to hear it if you have know of anyone who got off to a bad and overwhelming start and was able to pick themselves up and succeed. I really don't want to have to drop these classes and start all over if I have any other choice (I'm not sure how that would go anyway) so i am sort of hoping that I might still be able to pull myself together....

Sorry to be a downer, I really and truly hope that everyone out there is having a safe and happy week.

Thanks for listening,

M

Hey Mallory! Just a quick chime in...

I can empathize with some of what you are relating being that I did not one but two semesters that I totally got overwhelmed and dropped completely...(damage control mostly)

But your study habits, note taking, and even the way you look at life for the next few years will all slowly make sense and come together appropriately with time. Now this is easier said than done but if there is an ineffective method that you are using to understand (and keep up with the material being presented towards you) change it! No matter how minute, how small, seek the advice of some class mates that are making good grades and grill them about what they are doing right and how they are able to cope with the work load.

For me, I found a wealth of information, tips, tricks, and strategies to help me stay competitive...and keep my sanity (somewhat...)

Oh!! And to use my case in point...it's never too late. I fell into that bad thinking that if I don't do well this semester it's over and it will screw up my chances for good. That's simply not true. It make take more time to reach your goal but its never too late. I think the whole reason this site and forum exists is a testament that it's never too late.

Find online videos, children's chem and physics books, TAs, other students, other science professors; pick and choose what will help with you the most with grasping the material and throw out what doesn't work for you.

Thanks my rant. Hope it helped. Glean what you will and please keep us up to speed as to your progress.

There's strength in numbers! As well as most of us has had to battle with the pangs of anxiety at one point or another.

Cheers! ^_^

You speak nothing but truth. I think I did everything on the list you posted, Videos online (love Brightstorm for chem), TA’s, Classmates, with Physics I got super lucky and had a teacher who is known for giving hard tests and tons of quizzes but is more than willing to spend her office hours tutoring anyone who asks and I went to her twice a week ; ) I am sure I will still struggle in the semesters to come but it was very nice to prove to myself that I could climb out of a hole, adaptability really did seem to be the key. (and Id very much like to say that I truly believe that if I could make it happen anyone can!). Thanks for the thoughts and advice! I hope everyone is having a lovely Holiday season!

M-

It sounds like you really figured things out later in the semester; that’s awesome.

I’m getting close to finishing my post-bacc in the Chicago area. Keep up that same routine, and you’ll be just fine! I always did a few things to try to prepare for each semester, and each professor.

Just take it one day at a time. “What do I have to do for tomorrow? Next day?”

Keep your eyes on tomorrow. Stay positive. And don’t forget your experience this semester…it will help down the road.