Nurse practitioner making the leap...

I wanted to introduce myself and hopefully hear from someone who has walked in my footsteps. I did a search of the forums and found several NPs who are interested in going to med school, but couldn’t find anything from someone who has made that leap and is either in medical school or already done. I am 28 and currently a nurse practitioner working in orthopedic surgery. When I finished my BS in 2002 I figured I didn’t have a shot at med school with my 3.0 GPA, so I went for a graduate degree in nursing, figuring it would be a good fit for me. I did very well in grad school and ended with a 3.8. I have a great job now and love what I do, but everyday I work with surgeons and have that nagging feeling that I should be on the other side of the table. I should be a surgeon. So my question is will a strong grad school record and strong MCAT score make up for a mediocre undergrad that includes some C’s and one W?

By the way, I was absolutely thrilled today to find this group, and it has been amazing to read the unique stories of other old pre-meds.

HI Delfin,

I don’t know the answer to that but i just want to say hi. I am also a NP but nurse midwifery. I have some premed pre-reqs to start here in january. But I know the feeling about it nagging you from the other side of the table. I absoloutly love what I do but I know in 10 years the limitations in my practice will drive me out of it. good luck and if you find anything out let me know.

thanks

tbcnm

Thanks for the note tbcnm! It is just nice to know that there are other NPs out there going through the same thing. I also feel that in 5-10 years I would be wanting to expand my practice, but why wait for that to begin the next step. Good luck with your pre-reqs!

I am finishing up my family nurse practitioner degree in May and have realized that becoming a MD is probably the best career choice for me. I plan on working as a NP for a few years in order to pay off loans and take the prereqs. What is your plan? Are you looking into post-bach premed programs or just taking the prereqs on your own at a 4 year college?

I have heard that working as a NP in primary care is practically the same as a family MD or pediatrician and it would be too much time and money for the commitment…however, I feel that becoming a MD is truly my calling.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Valerie

I am tempted not to post THIS, since I only had an Associates degree in Nursing. And no matter how I dress it up, I still cannot get past just how blunt this message is going to come across for that I am truely sorry.

Indeed, the fact that there are quite a number of NP’s I have encountered within this forum, unfortunatley the same cannot be said for physicians who were former NP’s, indeed at this instant in time I can think of only ONE (who luckily is most prolific and excellent advisors on this forum Dr Mary Renard MD). Mary Renard is the best person or source for you guys specific set of circumstances.

That said, I am going to venture forth into the mine field, you are obviously bright and a good student, the biggest problem is going to be your willingness to back-track as far as you must to reach the split in the road to which you are planning the other fork and then going by the numbers for a period of time that I think will shock you, just to get to the front door of medical school.

Unless you took the pre-medicine or science major version the first time as an UNDERGRADUATE, you have a good two years and possibly three depending on how old your stuff is. will you be willing to do quite a lot of stuff over because of subjective statements decribing your preparation to this point as “not sufficiently rigorous” Did you know, I did not, that anything with a “NUR” course designator counts in GPA calculation only but is considered “technical training” does not transfer and does not count for credit or any sort of requistes. The steps to get into medical are set in concrete with no shortcuts or allowances for coursework outside of that same constellation.

Some call it “EGO” or “entitlement” I try to avoid those on the front side until I have explained them. They are a natural reaction by anyone who has worked hard and been successful in their chosen field! You can see it in computer programers or MBA’s posting their resumes on their first post, let alone being in a generally parallel “health care field”.

Richard

• Valerie421 Said:

I have heard that working as a NP in primary care is practically the same as a family MD or pediatrician and it would be too much time and money for the commitment...however, I feel that becoming a MD is truly my calling.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Valerie

Valerie,

I fully disagree with whomever has told you that " working as a NP in primary care is practically the same as a family MD or pediatrician" There is a whole lot of difference! Yes there are many dx that both the MD and the NP will treat and yes many times the tx will be the same but the process in making the dx is completely different.

I am a CNM/NP Yes i do deliveries just like a doctor but by no means could you compare what we do. It is like comparing apples to oranges. After three years working with my doctor we do think the same ways most times but that is only with repitition. There are still many situations that when I review my plan of care he will point something out that I wouldn't have considered. That is the differnce.

I plan on making the leap from NP to MD/DO. I wish you the best of luck but don't look at it as extending your role.

Theresa Buckley
  • Richard B Said:
And no matter how I dress it up, I still cannot get past just how blunt this message is going to come across for that I am truely sorry.

the biggest problem is going to be your willingness to back-track as far as you must to reach the split in the road to which you are planning the other fork and then going by the numbers for a period of time that I think will shock you, just to get to the front door of medical school.

Did you know, I did not, that anything with a "NUR" course designator counts in GPA calculation only but is considered "technical training" does not transfer and does not count for credit or any sort of requistes.

Richard

I did not find your post blunt at all and please don't appologize. I am a CNM/NP and in about three years when I start med school you can add me to your list of NP's who make it to medical school.

Maybe I don't find it blunt because my expectations of this journey are real. My doc I work with and the other doc who covers me when my doc is gone are wonderful supporters of my idea to return to school and they have given me no false hope or expectations.

My experience might help later down the road like as a MS3 or MS4 but in no way do i think that what i know will help me get in or make it through the first two years.

And thank you about the info on NUR classes. Not that it should matter. My NUR classes are over 10 years old. I am starting over and I mean over. Biology really is humbling to sit through. I had taken microbiology and A&P but never college biology.

Thanks for your imput

Theresa Buckley

midwife who wants more
  • Richard B Said:
And no matter how I dress it up, I still cannot get past just how blunt this message is going to come across for that I am truely sorry.

the biggest problem is going to be your willingness to back-track as far as you must to reach the split in the road to which you are planning the other fork and then going by the numbers for a period of time that I think will shock you, just to get to the front door of medical school.

Did you know, I did not, that anything with a "NUR" course designator counts in GPA calculation only but is considered "technical training" does not transfer and does not count for credit or any sort of requistes.

Richard

I did not find your post blunt at all and please don't appologize. I am a CNM/NP and in about three years when I start med school you can add me to your list of NP's who make it to medical school.

Maybe I don't find it blunt because my expectations of this journey are real. My doc I work with and the other doc who covers me when my doc is gone are wonderful supporters of my idea to return to school and they have given me no false hope or expectations.

My experience might help later down the road like as a MS3 or MS4 but in no way do i think that what i know will help me get in or make it through the first two years.

And thank you about the info on NUR classes. Not that it should matter. My NUR classes are over 10 years old. I am starting over and I mean over. Biology really is humbling to sit through. I had taken microbiology and A&P but never college biology.

Thanks for your imput

Theresa Buckley

midwife who wants more

Thank you for all the information. Yes, I am aware that it will take me about 3 years to complete prereqs/ MCAT/ applications/ interviews. However, I did not work as a RN after I graduated with my BSN and went right into NP school. Now I am planning to go to med school in 3 years hopefully. Will med schools look down on this because of the career changing? I have always wanted to go to medical school but was concerned about the time it would take me. (And now it will take more time! But, I keep thinking in 15 years I would rather be a MD than wishing I was one).

Has anyone heard about the post-bac. programs? (1-2 years of prereqs and will help prepare you for med school) Are these recommended or would it be a better idea to complete the prereqs on our own at a 4 year university? It seems like the post-bac. programs are very expensive. However, I’m assuming with all the prereqs at a 4 year university the cost would be comparable?

Thank you for all your helpful information,

Valerie

• Valerie421 Said:
Has anyone heard about the post-bac. programs? (1-2 years of prereqs and will help prepare you for med school) Are these recommended or would it be a better idea to complete the prereqs on our own at a 4 year university? It seems like the post-bac. programs are very expensive. However, I'm assuming with all the prereqs at a 4 year university the cost would be comparable?

Post-bac programs ARE generally very expensive. It doesn't really matter whether you do the pre-reqs on your own or through a formal program. One advantage that some formal programs have is that they have "linkages" with med schools. If you have a strong desire to go to a particular med school that has a linked program, that might be motivation. As for cost - it probably depends on the 4 year university you plan on doing your coursework at. If you're going to a state school, it will probably be far cheaper than a formal program. If you plan on going to a private school and don't qualify for any aid, it may be a wash.