Nursing to Med. School...

?

• fullitaliandmr Said:
I will NOT pamper this person. At least I have the balls to be honest with her and not sugar coat my answers.

Belligerence is not the same as honesty. And have you ever known being judgemental to be productive?

I like Emergency!'s answers much better than yours. I don’t know where you get off thinking that you have the right to pass judgment on people publicly. You are entitled to your opinions, and I suppose if you want to look stupid you can even express them. But there is no need whatsoever to be as rude and insulting as you are being to this young person.

Many of us who give advice on these forums do so knowing that the person to whom the advice is directed may not ‘hear’ it. Doesn’t mean we think it shouldn’t be said. I have no idea whether Emergency!'s very good advice will be heeded by the OP, nor do I care, because she is raising a lot of good points that someone may find helpful.

You, on the other hand, are simply stirring the pot and using the OP’s difficult situation as a launching pad for your own diatribes. I don’t know why, but it’s really annoying. Please stop.

Mary Renard, M.D.

OldPreMeds Forum Moderator

Okay fullitaliandmr… You really should read.

Who said I didn’t work? I do work. I work two jobs. I work at my school during the afternoons and I work at the hospital as a patient care assistant on nights and weekends. You obviously don’t read because I never once said I was unemployed.

Not that it’s any of your business, but my fiance got laid off last year and he does not have his GED so that’s why he can not find work. He is about to take the test and get CNA certified.

Also why is it any of your business why I have a child at 20? I have a child at 20 because I wanted a child at 20. Another at 24. And my last at 27. My daughter is my life. Without her I wouldn’t have the perseverance and strength to do everything I want to do with my life. She is my motivation and determination.

I never asked for your insight into my life.

• hello nurse Said:
Okay fullitaliandmr... You really should read.

Who said I didn't work? I do work. I work two jobs. I work at my school during the afternoons and I work at the hospital as a patient care assistant on nights and weekends. You obviously don't read because I never once said I was unemployed.

Not that it's any of your business, but my fiance got laid off last year and he does not have his GED so that's why he can not find work. He is about to take the test and get CNA certified.

Also why is it any of your business why I have a child at 20? I have a child at 20 because I wanted a child at 20. Another at 24. And my last at 27. My daughter is my life. Without her I wouldn't have the perseverance and strength to do everything I want to do with my life. She is my motivation and determination.

I never asked for your insight into my life.

WOW I'm sorry for the crap you had to put up with!

Theres a difference between giving advice to think about and insulting someone.... I have to say at OPM we do not insult each other ( At least never on purpose) Just do not pay them any mind, its unbecoming of a future DOctor to act like this.

Of course you are among friends here and I know you can reach your goals, I will be glad to help you in any way.

I did post some things to think about.

Give the little ones a hug from me! Go for it!

Bill.

fullitaliandmr apologized to me.

apparently it was his ex.

everything is chill

• hello nurse Said:
fullitaliandmr apologized to me.

apparently it was his ex.

everything is chill

Thank Goodness.

Awww I just got here - I missed the firewoks!!!

As someone who is graduating with her BSN in June, I would just caution you that nursing is a lot more work than people give it credit for. You already have a good step-up because you work already work in a hospital, but it’s still no walk in the park. I’ve spent 6-8 hours on clinical write-ups alone and have written more papers than a person should be allowed to write if they aren’t an English major.

Like you, I’m considering whether or not nursing is what I want to do (though it seems like you’ve made up your mind). Good luck to you, your baby, and your fiance!

Wow. What an undertaking, school and motherhood. You already have two full time jobs. But if you can do it, more power to you. I have been an RN for 17 years and I too started in nursing to pay the way to med school. I am now a 37 year old post bac. Keep looking for alternate forms of funding. There is money out there, you just have to work to find it. If you want to be an RN, pick a specialty that allows you time to study, with a low risk for injury. Not sure what this is exactly with the current nursing crisis.

Good Luck.

You can do it! stay positive. I dropped out of high school and shouldnt have. I thought I was mr smart guy back then. I am now 31, I got my ged when I was 28 and now have my associates with a 4.0 and will be starting OU nursing next month which will give me the BSN that is required to apply for med school. My reasoning for going this route is-if I have already worked as a nurse and know what to expect from them then I shouldnt ask them to do something that I havent done myself, which will also make for a better Dr./nurse team and ultimately provide better care for the patient. I too have children. The key for me is to always surround myself around positive people whether its at school or not. once again you can do it just dont give up!

Good Luck

I have to disagree, due to personal experience, regarding working as a nurse while in med school. I was an RN with my BSN for almost 10 years before starting medical school. Although you are right, during 1st & 2nd year it is difficult to work. Hospitals love the extra help during the holidays and summer break. I worked for an agency in Chicago. During my 3rd & 4th year I was able to work 4-5 shifts a month and at close to $50/hr I was able to pay for my rent, insurance, food, and have a little $ left over for going out.

I would use your history as a way to show that you are a strong person and how you can juggle many responsiblities. You can be a good mom and go back to school, plus work. Not a lot of people can do al of that. The reason you are doing the nursing is that you need a good job (not some min wage job) so you can take care of your family. You can also state that because of this job you were able to save to help curb costs during medical school or help save for child care costs,… You will also need them to understand that you will have a good support system to help with your daughter. Medical school is challenging and you will be away a lot. They do not want to hear that you will be working during medical school, but you can mention that you will be working during your breaks…

My $.02

Rachel Yealy, DO

The other thing is that if you work somewhere that has residents…you can befriend them, talk with them re: experiences and tell an admission panel that you have seen their lifestyle and know what you are getting yourself into. My line, when I was asked why nursing 1st during my interviews was…“My almost 10 years as a nurse was in EDs with a residency program and during our down times we would talk about their experiences, how they coped, their frustrations,…” Most kids applying to medical school get an idea about what residency is like by watching TV. Back in my day it was “ER,” not helpful.

Rachel Yealy, DO

• Emergency! Said:

Why not just do the associates portion and then work as a nurse while pursuing whatever degree you want? I find it difficult to believe that you are going to be able to find much time for working while doubling up on classes to complete the BSN and pre-reqs at the same time. Clinicals can be very time intensive. I also think it will be hard to complete the BSN and the med school pre-reqs in three semesters. While I understand your pursuing the associates portion to have job prospects while completing a four year degree, I don't see that pursuing a BSN, especially when you have no interest in nursing, is a great plan if medical school is your plan.

totally agree with this suggestion. I'm currently a nursing student myself. After going back and forth a few times, I realized that I needed to take a step forward and accept the acceptance to the nursing program (ADN) when it came through.

My plan actually is to do as Emergency suggested and just do the ADN and then work on something I enjoy for my bachelors. I do know that I want to go further with medicine, particularly pediatrics, but if for some reason it doesn't pan out for me, I'll be happy being the NICU nurse and working towards being a NNP.

I'll be honest with you, OP, if you already feel this way about nursing, you are going to have a real tough haul. Have you considered another clinical area (such as rad tech or resp. therapy)? Nursing school is tough and you are really seeing patients at their absolute worse...unfortunately a lot of people that haven't gone through it (particularly the naysayers) really have no idea.

Best of luck!

Kris