Official Women's Interview Attire Thread

I LOVE the suit with the lavender blouse. Do NOT wear a boring white blouse.
And don’t listen to the kids on SDN. On pre-allo (which is where I suspect you heard this conversation) they have no idea what they are talking about - it’s a bunch of pre-meds talking to each other (blind leading the blind). Rarely will someone with actual experience chime in. Now, the kid may look like a tool and an idiot in an expensive italian suit when he’s clearly just a college student, but I seriously doubt that it will influence his reception at interviews. And if he has the maturity and presence to act like a grown-up, then the suit will “fit” him and there won’t be any kind of weirdness involved in his wearing it.
Your suit is great. And I think the shoes will work OK though I cringe to look at the heels. Please don’t forget you are going to be walking all over the place. Yeah, they’re a little on the “cute” side but as with the guy in the Italian suit, if your demeanor is businesslike and serious, the shoes won’t be a jarring disconnect from the overall picture.
The key to interview attire is to wear something that is professional, businesslike, and makes you feel confident and ready to wow them. You want to put on that suit and say, “I am FANTASTIC and ready to make the sale!” It certainly looks to me like this suit fits in that category.
Mary

The suit is really nice but the shoes…I think too trendy for medical school interviews but that is just my opinion…

Ok, thank you so much everyone! My fears have now much subsided since yesterday. I WILL keep rethinking these shoes. They are super comfortable, moreso than others with lower heels, but I’ve got 24 hours before I leave for my first interview, which means 24 hours to consider the fact that pretty much everyone I’ve asked thinks they’re too cute. As long as no one is screaming “they’re awful!” I won’t seriously stress, but I really do take people’s advice here into great consideration.
Yeah, I try to take those SDNers with a grain of salt. Still, where I hail from (small midwestern town) it really is a moral crime to stand out or even look too put together, fashionwise. Gosh I remember what a martyr I felt like in seventh grade when my mom took me shopping for shoes in Minneapolis and the kids back home tormented me because the shoes were Esprit, which was like, super big city weird. Even Liz Claiborne was over the cutting edge. And now I work in a chemistry department where the standards are exactly what you’d imagine in such a place–pocket protector chic is what I’d call it. That story about the guy’s primo Italian suit just revived an old fear of mine.
I’ll go with the purple sweater with no fears now. I’m so glad I don’t HAVE to look like someone’s financial advisor!
Thanks as always,
pushkin

The sweater will work, but it could use a strand of pearls. Otherwise I’d be happier to see a silky shell instead of a sweater. I agree about the shoes–I wouldn’t wear them, but you can probably get away with it. And take all this with a grain of salt–I’m extrememly conservative about interview wear.
The suit itself is just fine. I like it.

Another shoe choice are AeroSoles. Fashionable but comfortable. Styles from casual to dressy/professional.

Natalie – thanks for your post re: what was in your attache. I’m curious - what was in that correspondence file? Only a copy of your application & secondary to that school for which you were interviewing?
Barb, Houston (2005, God willing)

What about suit jacket with dress? I used to work out of the country, & these were seen as professional. Imagine black dress with black jacket, then black pumps. Can go either black sheer or normal stockings. Does this work now in USA?

Remember, you are most likely going to be taking a tour of the campus (they will be selling the school to you as much as you will be selling yourself to them). Be comfortable. If your shoes are making you wobbly and/or lack confidence, then don’t wear them. You don’t want to be thinking about your shoes during the day!
Go with what you feel comfortable in…barring sneakers, etc. I’m short, but I’ve always hated heels, any kind. So I wore flat mary janes to my interview. I may have been short, but I was comfortable.
I wore a black and white checked suit with a deep red lightweight sweater. The color energized me and stood out from the horde of black suits. THAT made me feel good!
I suppose you have to do whatever you need to do to feel AND look good. It’s all about balance, as everything seems to be in life!

Quote:

What about suit jacket with dress? I used to work out of the country, & these were seen as professional. Imagine black dress with black jacket, then black pumps. Can go either black sheer or normal stockings. Does this work now in USA?

A plain, sheath-style dress under a matching jacket is classic and should be fine. Stuffy Denise is pleased.

oh man… this is going to be my death…
when/if I ever have an interview… if I have to look like someone’s financial advisor then I’m SUNK!
I really look out of place “dressed up”… and feel out of place… people are always stunned when I go formal (like for my SIL’s wedding… I was matron of honor… LOL)… I “clean up good”… but it’s such a chore…
most of the time I look like hippie reject with birkenstocks on and some kind of baggie pajama type linen pants…
Oy vay…what have I gotten myself in to?

Quote:

oh man… this is going to be my death…
when/if I ever have an interview… if I have to look like someone’s financial advisor then I’m SUNK!

As I said, take my opinion with a grain of salt. If you’d be all miserable and uncomfortable in MY interview dream outfit, then by all means wear YOURS. I cut my professional teeth as a young, soft-spoken blonde in places where only men were presumed to be smart and as a result I used to be extremely careful that, when I needed it, everything I put on my body added to my presence and authority.
I don’t wear that stuff often now, but it is MY security blanket when I feel the need to impress people. This doesn’t mean my power clothes are everyone’s power clothes. I promise I won’t run up behind you and put pearls on you if you hate them.
Despite my biases, I must admit that med school admissions is so complicated that the chances the adcoms will be weighing you against an otherwise identical candidate and toss you out on the basis of your shoes is laughably small.
But I’ll always offer my opinion anyway when I’m asked. I can’t help it.

I think this is why clothes discussions end up being pretty intense on SDN - lots of college kids haven’t been out in the “real world” and don’t have a clue about how to dress. Then there are those of us who know how to dress if forced, but prefer to wear something else.
It’s just for interview day! If you’re really lacking confidence in your ability to put together a sharp outfit for interviews, then I would suggest that you shop at a better women’s clothing store, the kind where they actually have staff who can help you. (would you believe, I found such help at a Kasper A.S.L. outlet) You may pay more for the outfit, but it’ll be a good investment.
And pushkin, go get 'em girl! You are going to look great and more importantly, you’re going to do well at your interviews. Good luck!
Mary

Aahhh, this thread is the best. We all have our preferences, don’t we? I did decide though, thanks partly to unanimous consent around here, to ditch the high heels. They also started to hurt like hell after 2 days! No Audrey Hepburn am I, it is obvious. I cannot be teetering around on these things one more minute. I don’t know what I’ll come up with before my 7am flight tomorrow, but it will be something.
Adennis–it was me who came up with the comparison to a financial planner. I really don’t think that’s in the minds of anyone at a med school. You shouldn’t worry!
I definitely think everyone has a way of dressing up in just the right way for themselves. I could not do pearls, just because it’s a look I could never carry off. Back when I was the age of those SDNers though, that’s when I had no clue what kind of clothes I liked so I just bought whatever I was told for special occasions. Some of those things are still in my closet and they are just a travesty to look at. The newer stuff suits me much, much better.
Also, that guy who bought the suit that was made for a king–HE was the one who started his own thread, to give the SDNers some credit. He was asking for input. I can see where strutting around in a 3K suit would feel weird. What if you spilled on it? However, the last thing you want to do in that situation is throw yourself to the pirahnnas by telling everyone on SDN.
Every time there is some flash-flood kind of craze over on SDN I come over here and get a dose of the real world. It really helps. This is such a great site!
Thanks for the nice wishes, and good luck to EVERYONE here!

Pushkin,
I vote for the purple and lower heels. Knock 'em out. You will do great! Can’t wait to hear all about it!
Shirl

Eek!
I have to actually go out and buy a suit now… I detest shopping…
I’ll employ my MIL who is a world-class shopper…she’ll know what to do.

I love shopping. I wish I could go with you! Please let us know what you pick out. I love to hear about people’s clothing choices, so you must not skimp on any details.
I have really found my choice of a not-black but otherwise normal interview suit to be perfect. Well, I haven’t gotten in anywhere yet so maybe I’m dead wrong, but one interviewer complimented me profusely on my non-black attire, while a couple others said nice things. As for the shoes, I could wear 4-inch high platform boots and I doubt anyone would notice, as long as I had pants on. (I say this because I saw someone wearing such shoes, and they didn’t leave their interview crying or anything.) I’ve seen everything at interviews. Some of it looked pretty daring, and for once in my life I found myself not only dressed somewhat on the conservative end, but wondering how others had to guts to be so bold and also quite glad that they were farther out there than me! Now that is a nice new experience for me. I even thought of donning some pearl earrings next time, because I saw someone doing that and it looked really nice.
Ok, fill us in with your questions or purchases.

pushkin,
do tell… what do you classify as daring?
My style is more like… um… well, what my MIL calls “bag lady clothes”… lots of linen etc… I’m sure that’s not appropriate for a med school interview.
I look back at pictures of me when I thought I was in business attire and I looked like a wreck. I don’t want to do that this time… but… crazy enough… when I wear a formal and feel like a wreck… I always look pretty good… go figure…
I’m not sure when I’ll start shopping… (I hate shopping)… but it’ll probably be as soon as I find out for sure when this interview will be. (I have to call back today).
I’m starting to get nervous.

I am a total basket case…
I’ve spent the last couple of days trying to find the perfect outfit… and honestly… I think it can’t be found.
I tried to go with a suit… first… but it didn’t work… I can’t pull it off… I’m talking tweed/pinstripe etc… it just didn’t work for me… skirt/jacket combo… then pants/jacket… nothing looked right.
I just got back from my MIL’s by way of the mall… (I loathe and detest the mall)… and I’ve settled on something… I guess… I don’t really feel like it’s formal enough based on what I’ve heard from everybody… but at the same time… I’ve been told it’s extremely professional looking…
I bought it all at Chico’s. I bought black pants… they hang very well… kind of like a Tencel or something… not sure… a black jacket that matches… and a copper colored (not metallic just coppery) shell that goes underneath it. I’ve got a black/metal choker type necklace to wear with it and a belt that has a silver clasp… the whole outfit was engineered by the saleslady there… I had nothing to do with it… although I like the copper… (think freckle colored)… I’ve got black heels to wear with it… I still don’t feel uptight enough… but it does kind of look like a suit… I dunno… I’ve about been in tears all day because of this… This is all such a departure for me… the suit thing… I’d feel more comfy if I was in a wedding dress/formal to be honest… isn’t that nuts.
anyway… enough’s enough… I quit… if it’s not good enough I guess it’s not good enough…
Andrea

It sounds like a perfectly normal black pantsuit to me, and I’m a serious suit nut. Chill. Unless it’s got a big, pink kitty-kat embroidered on the back of it, it’s going to be just fine. I declare you absolved of further shopping responsibility and recommend you lie on the couch with a bowl of sorbet and a glass of wine to celebrate your achievement.
Later, you could take the tags off and go to dinner in it or something to get used to wearing it.

Denise,
Whew! (quickly using seam ripper to tear off said pink kitty)…
no seriously… it’s very plain… I hope it works and looks good when it’s all together… I’m going to try to quit worrying about it…
I guess this is where my nervousness about this interview is coming to a head.
Thanks again!
Andrea