Ok, here I go........

Where to begin… I may have posted all of this before, but maybe this will refresh memories, or begin new ones…

I have been an nurse for 16 yrs now. I began as an LPN, went back got my Associates in Nursing, then my Bachelors, and I am currently in my 5th of 9 semester in my Masters in Nursing program. I have wanted to be a physician for as long as I can remember… the reason for not doing it until now?? Life happened… I have two sons, one of which graduated high school last night, and the other is 15…when I was in high school, it was only my mother and myself, with no hopes of paying for college… so I did it the way that I thought was the way… if I couldnt be a physician, at least I could be a nurse. Everyday when I go to work, I look at the interns and residents and wonder how some of them can actually tie their shoes in the morning, much less have made it into and through med school…and tell myself if they can do it, I can definitely do it…so, the dream is still there and stronger than ever right now… I have a very good friend who is a physician, and he has been encouraging me for over two yrs now to go for it… He has asked me many times over the last two years what I am waiting on, and what I wanted to do… my name here says it all… I love hearts, and would LOVE to specialize in cardiac critical care. I have spent most of my nursing career in critical care, and cant see me doing anything else…and the heart has always fascinated me.

I have a 3.4 in my undergrad, and currently a 3.6 in graduate school. I just really hate that I still have 2 physics and 2 chemistries before I can even consider applying…I would try to take them while I am finishing my masters, but the next 4 semesters of my masters program is all clinicals…I am in the Nurse Practitioner track… Dont get me wrong, I would love to work as an NP, but will always feel as if I am “settling”.

Decisions, decisions, move forward, or settle…

It sounds like you really have made your decision. Go ahead and finish your NP, work part-time while you do your pre-reqs, and then follow your dream. You have been working in the medical field for awhile now and should know deep within yourself if this dream is the one you have to follow.

One of the doctors I used to work for described the feeling as a fire in the belly of the beast that cannot be extinguished.

So, keep moving forward, one step at a time, and work hard to attain your dream.

Welcome to OPM!!

Thanks so much for your reply. I do plan on finishing my NP degree, I have come too far to stop now… too much heartache, sweat and tears! lol

The physician I mentioned in my previous post actually came by this morning on his way in for rounds, and dropped off an MCAT study book, “thought you could use this” was all he said. Think that he is throwing another hint??