OPMers REPRESENTING at my university!

Just a pat on the back for a few “non traditional” pre-med students at my school:

I noticed a solid trend in my physics and organic classes this semester, and it can’t have gone unnoticed by our professors either…

So many of us come into this journey asking, “Am I crazy? Can I do this? Am I too old?” etc. etc. We see it all the time. We tell ourselves that the conventional medical student looks, acts, talks a certain way–and if we don’t fit that mold, we simply can’t get in.

Perception perpetuates reality in many cases… and “I think I can’t” turns into “I can’t” because we allow FUD to rule supreme.

And yet…I see more and more evidence that flies in the face of all that FUD! This semester, I was lucky enough to meet 5 other students who were “like me.” They all had families…they all had full time jobs… and 3 are applying to med school this upcoming cycle, while the other 2 are applying to dental school.

The entire semester, the 6 of us got the top 6 grades in every class. Most of the time, the class average was WELL below our grades, and in some cases our grades even got thrown out of the curve to help students more.

What? But we’re old! We’re busy! We’re parents! WHAT???

I say it again, people… FUD be damned!

I just wanted to say that I’m honestly PROUD to be a “old” pre med student, and I am in good company at my school.

Thanks to all of you who are forging ahead, breaking down barriers, and changing the misconceptions within your own programs!

And Pixie, just for you-- YES, I am checking this semester off my list, and sprinting straight ahead to the next leg of this race!

Congrats on finishing another semester, everyone-- against all odds, we are SO doing this!

Well said, Carrieliz!

• In reply to:
The entire semester, the 6 of us got the top 6 grades in every class. Most of the time, the class average was WELL below our grades, and in some cases our grades even got thrown out of the curve to help students more.

Excellent! OPMs unite!!!

I have this image in my head of you 6 rollin' in to class each day in slow motion, like the oldsters at the end of Reservoir Dogs !!

• radardenny Said:
I have this image in my head of you 6 rollin' in to class each day in slow motion, like the oldsters at the end of Reservoir Dogs !!

LOVE IT!!!

HA!!! Yup… the whole thing was pretty B.A. if I do say so myself…

That is HILARIOUS!

That’s it, now all the OPMers have to show up to class in suits.

That’s funny!

I started physics scared spitless because my last math class was 18 years ago and everyone kept perseverating on how hard the math is…Well, I got the highest grade in my algebra-based physics despite my decrepit math skills. I have to say, I did appreciate my engineer husband’s help at the beginning as I got back up to speed. That said, I put in my time and did the work. Go old pre-meds!

Same here, Annette-- the department chair didn’t even want to let me into the physics class because I never had trig in college (although I’d had calculus, but it was 12 years ago). She waved my transcript in my face and said, “I’ll let you in…but it’s against my better judgment…and don’t expect to get grades like THESE… you might get a B if you apply yourself.”

I believe my final average was a 106% (highest in the class). So that lady can just go kick rocks… =P

• carrieliz Said:
Same here, Annette-- the department chair didn't even want to let me into the physics class because I never had trig in college (although I'd had calculus, but it was 12 years ago). She waved my transcript in my face and said, "I'll let you in...but it's against my better judgment...and don't expect to get grades like THESE... you might get a B if you apply yourself."

I believe my final average was a 106% (highest in the class). So that lady can just go kick rocks... =P

I share your sentiment there, physics types (those belonging to the dark side of the force, of course) have zero empathy...congratulations on your grades in Physics, way to go! You inspire us all.

Best wishes and Happy Holidays!

awesome carrie, keep rocking it. i want to see how many med school acceptances you get next fall/winter.