overcoming doubt

I am glad that I came across your message. I have been struggling for what seems an eternity with my desire to be a doctor. There are days when I am so happy about being on this path and I believe that I will be a successful physician and that I will help my future patients live as healthy a life as they possibly can. Then, I have those days–when it seems reality sets in–where I am in this dark place and I cannot imagine being able to get accepted into a medical school and sucessfully passing my coursework.

I graduated from undergrad in 2006 with a degree in English Literature. I went to college knowing full well that MD would be my suffix, but I couldn’t bear the thought of failure and decided to travel and less demanding route. I have been fortunate to work in really wonderful community health and pediatric research positions since graduating, so I have not left medicine behind. However, I am afraid that my fear will always keep me from going any further… the thought of the MCAT is overwhelming for I know I will have to get a great score to have any institution look at me.

I needed to see your message. I have so many doubts lately and I am finally at a place where I am ready to begin my science coursework. But, there is that fear and the doubt. I don’t want to doubt myself into keeping my dream merely a dream, but there are times when keeping it bottled feels the only way medicine can remain a part of me…

So, thank you for sharing your story. I am glad that you have realized being a doctor is the path for you… I wish you well on your journey.

-Li

Ah, but the MCAT isn’t something to be afraid of! It’s a step on your journey, and an excellent chance to prove yourself. If you can think analytically, you can do well on the MCAT. IMNSHO, more than half of the battle with that exam is mental.

Good luck with it! I think you can do it, Li

edit: and to address the OP, since I went back and read the original post for inspiration: you’re right. This is exciting. And it’s my path. And I’m going to set my feet to it and do it.

Thank you again.

• pi1304 Said:
Ah, but the MCAT isn't something to be afraid of! It's a step on your journey, and an excellent chance to prove yourself. If you can think analytically, you can do well on the MCAT. IMNSHO, more than half of the battle with that exam is mental.

While I can agree that the MCAT is mainly a "mental exam", having taken it a zillion times and still not recorded a score about 30 tells me that ones analytical ability, doesn't have all that much to do with doing "well" (whatever that means) on the MCAT( and I say that as a successful, seasoned Scientist).

IMHO, the MCAT is simply a lesson on how to take the MCAT and those that do well, know THAT lesson extremely well. The fact that mediocre MCATS don't consistently coorelate with mediocre USMLE's ( and vice versa) is my proof of the lack of a siginificant relationship between analytical skills and a great MCAT score.

Fair enough, pathdr2b! I’ll certainly agree that it’s an imperfect measure at best. I suppose the point I was reaching for - that I think you’d agree with - is that the MCAT isn’t a test of your science knowledge. It’s an attempt at a critical/analytical thinking test, perhaps?

Either way, for those who’ll take it: don’t face it afraid. It’s like a bear, in that regard. And you can, um… make it a teddy bear? Or at least a cute koala

(overstudying -> delerium)

• pi1304 Said:
Fair enough, pathdr2b! I'll certainly agree that it's an imperfect measure at best. I suppose the point I was reaching for - that I think you'd agree with - is that the MCAT isn't a test of your science knowledge

The thing is that I'm old enough to remember when the MCAT was structured very differently, mainly discrete science questions. Quite frankly I don't think anyone woud argue that folks who took those exams and have now been practicing many years since, are not of the same "quality" as physicians who took the current version of the exam.

Honestly, I can't recall why they changed the exam, only that I've been cursing the change ever since!