overwhelmed? ME?

Hello all,

I’m new to this great site and farily new to being back in school. I’m 41 with four children, a husband, a job and community obligations – just like everyone else here. At this point, I am so excited to be back in school and working toward my dream that I have no lack of confidence and motivation. Actually I am an optimist to the point of insanity; I make Pollyanna look depressed , that’s how bad I am. BUT… I know the day WILL come when I am tired and overwhelmed and discouraged, etc. And it will probably come sooner than I think. I would like to have some good strategies on hand. What do you all do when you’re feeling overwhelmed or discouraged and the usual platitudes just aren’t working anymore? I’d sure appreciate your words of wisdom!

First, welcome to our group.

As to Pollyanna, my husband will tell you that I am she . . . most of the time. But, like you said, the day does come occasionally that you are tired and overwhelmed, and when that occurs, I simply say Pollyanna is on vacation.

What do I do? Keep putting one foot in front of the other and seek out the support of my husband and friends. And, I think you will find that OPM is one of the best friends you can have in difficult times. They are always here to support and encourage you when you need it, and they (we) love to be here in both bad times as well as good. After all, that’s what friends are for.

So welcome!

I think back to volunteering moments with patients in the hospital or clinic and that renews my motivation. You’re really wise to be anticipating such moods, which come upon all of us at times I suppose. That’s nontrads for you, always thinking!

Thanks Linda and Terry for the advice! I do see that the people of OPM will be good friends to have, for good AND bad times. Now that I am in school, I am beginning to see that I need to find some non-trad friends there also in addition to the “twentysomething’s” I know. My poor husband has been my sole support for the past number of years. It does take effort to find friends who don’t act like you’re crazy for having bold dreams, don’t you think?

Terry, the advice about thinking of the patients is invaluable. I am currently an office nurse who trained on the job. I have had many good experiences feeling like I helped people. I think I’ll start a notebook to write these down and put with it the thank you notes I’ve gotten. That way, when I’m depressed and can’t think of anything good, well, I’ll have the notebook. I think I’ll include any really good test or quiz grades from organic.A good grade in THAT class is a REAL self-esteem booster…

Hi Michele!

Congratulations on your decision! There really is nothing like waking up everyday knowing that you are one step closer to achieving your dreams! I think one of the biggest things you can do is really take some time to figure out why you want to go into medicine and write it down somewhere, something like you mentioned you were going to do above. When you get tired or feel overwhelmed, pull it out and look at it to see how much closer you are than when you started. This has definitely helped me when I was forced to cancel classes because of military requirements, deployed in the middle of a semester, or studying organic, physics, and MCAT prep late at night knowing I had to get up at 5 a.m. for a 3 day military field exercise. Just take it one day at a time and before you know it, your journal will be full of all the motivation you need to get you through the rough spots! Best of luck to you.

Hello, Bakyong, you sure had some obstacles! I spent some time in the Naval Reserves. I was really grateful sometimes it wasn’t a full-time job – the hours are brutal. I am definitely going to use your idea in my journal/scrapbook/whateve r it will be. Thanks!