PA vs NP

Okay, so I am thinking (again) about alternative options for me and I am wondering what you think. I could try to get into an NP entry-level program in Boston, there is also a new program at UNH (closer to me)that I can apply to. I will have to take a few prereqs this year while I organize the applications, but I could possibly be in school next fall or summer (BC, Simmons, MGH) or January (UNH). Then there is the PA option. I am registered now as an EMT and I would have to work a lot to get into PA school, putting it all off a year for Northeastern, but I could concievably get into UNE next fall while I finish my prereqs and work this coming academic year.
Okay, my dilemma is that I am not all that interested in studying “nursing theory” but I also admit that I have no idea what all is involved. I love science and I think the PA approach would appeal to me academically.
Ok, so I was interested in DO because of the OMT I would be able to learn, but without that as an option I have been interested in Midwifery. You really need to be a nurse before becoming a certified midwife, there are some PA’s who become midwives, but they are still pretty fringey…
And now I am planning fall courses. Finish off the year of bio I am halfway through? Chemistry? A and P? I am leaning towards Bio and Chem, with A and P in the spring (I only need a semester of that.)
Really, I would love to take Physics, Chem, Bio A and P, and work full time just to keep my options open, but that is ridiculus.
Any ideas??

From my discussions with both NPs and PAs, it would appear that, at the risk of being disparaging with extremely broad strokes, that PA’s are more closely “mini-docs” in terms of procedures but are more “interdependent” with physicians. From an academic standpoint, PA school is an abbrievated version of med school with Gross Anatomy, Physiology, etc. with Patient Contact starting quickly in the program. There is an expectation with most PA programs that you have significant patient contact in order to get into a program.
NPs are founded upon nursing but can be very independent practioners. For example, my friend is an Geriatric NP working independently in a nursing home based practice. Typically less procedures than PAs. However, there is a huge overlap between the two professions. Also, depending on where you work, who you work with, what docs you work under, you could be considered a “full partner” in patient care, responsibility, etc. in either profession.
Anyway, my two cents.

A possible urban legend about PAs: I once asked about it since their work does seem to overlap NPs quite a bit. I was told the program was “created” for guys coming out of the military as medics who didn’t want to be called “nurses”. I don’t know if there is any truth to that, but thought it was interesting. What Rich said about the two professions is basically right. You take many more sciences as a UGrad for PA as well, though many schools are upgrading their BSN programs to include the standard “science major” sciences as part of the curriculum. If you still aren’t sure about the two, check for actual people in your area, what they normally do, the typical pay, etc. Also, I would factor in what area you think you are interested in working…with kids, anesthesia,etc. Good luck
Kathy

Quote:

A possible urban legend about PAs: I once asked about it since their work does seem to overlap NPs quite a bit. I was told the program was “created” for guys coming out of the military as medics who didn’t want to be called “nurses”. I don’t know if there is any truth to that, but thought it was interesting. What Rich said about the two professions is basically right. You take many more sciences as a UGrad for PA as well, though many schools are upgrading their BSN programs to include the standard “science major” sciences as part of the curriculum. If you still aren’t sure about the two, check for actual people in your area, what they normally do, the typical pay, etc. Also, I would factor in what area you think you are interested in working…with kids, anesthesia,etc. Good luck
Kathy

I always thought that PA’s came first, and then the NP’s.
BTW, the first PA program was at Duke: http://pa.mc.duke.edu/s_prog_hist.asp

PA and NP originated at about the same time mid sixties. The first NP program was the PNP program at Colorado.
Shirl

Hi All, Thanks for the feedback. I decided to go the NP route since midwifery is a real interest for me. I have that option if I become a nurse (but not if I am a PA). Well, PA’s sometimes do become midwives, but CNMs are more the norm. Also most of the PA programs I talked to would like you to have about a year of experience full-time. So, although I am an EMT and I could probably get full time work, I am still juggling the young family issues, and I am not ready to take three classes, work full-time, take GREs. So I will work part-time, take GREs, take three classes and hopefully get into some local program by next fall.
Thanks for all the support here on this website.

Lizard,
Congratulations onmaking the decision that is right for you and your family.
Shirl

Keeping your options open…continue taking classes till you get accepted. My friend wanted to be a PA in the Navy. He took classes and applied, got rejected kept taking classes, got rejected, took some more classes and then had the option of either applying to PA or MD schools. He chose at this point to apply to MD schools…after another 3 years of applying he graduates next year from Medical College of Ohio…at 42 years old, with 2 boys under the age of 2, daughter as a sophomore in college and a wife dead tired…
Just keep going and see what opens up. Sometimes plans A & B flip flop…

I know what you mean about the flip-flopping… I seem to be all about plan A and B switching at a moment’s notice. But I also feel that if I do not want to pursue medicine with a single minded dedication (or perhaps more to the point I am not willing to sacrifice other passions in my current life in order to fulfill this dream) then I really shouldn’t waste any more time on it.
Not that I feel I have wasted time… I became an EMT (in order to gain experience, and perhaps break even once I pay childcare) and I don’t regret that- in fact I just got a job as an EMT and I am really excited about getting my feet wet in that field, and I took one Biology class which I absolutely loved and I am hoping to squeeze in the other half of that at some point.
It also helps me to have siblings who are doctors wrestle with on call time vs. time with family etc. They are my biggest supporters, but help with “counting the cost” of any decisions I make.
Finally, my husband is doing his best to “downshift” from his current stressful job with long commute.
So there you have it, I am ready to move on.

Liz, CNMs rock in my opinion. Two of my three children were birthed with the assistance of CNMs and I can’t say enough good things about them. Go for it!
Mary

Thanks Mary,
I feel super comfortable with CNM as my long term goal, and some interesting years between here and there. I have been thinking about midwifery for many years now, ever since my second son was born in England with the help of some terrific midwives. Who knows what will happen in the meantime, but I am revved up to apply to local entry level np schools this year. Great up sides to this choice for me, I get to stay in the home I grew up in (and lived with my Mom in before she died this spring), the hours of the program I am looking at are reasonably flexible and will fit well in with my family life. And I still get to study and that is huge for me.
Thanks for all your kind words.

Quote:

I know what you mean about the flip-flopping… I seem to be all about plan A and B switching at a moment’s notice. But I also feel that if I do not want to pursue medicine with a single minded dedication (or perhaps more to the point I am not willing to sacrifice other passions in my current life in order to fulfill this dream) then I really shouldn’t waste any more time on it.

Congrats on going forward…
I am sure many like me are am still flip flopping (belly-flopping?) with MD, DO, PA, RN, NP but justify (rationalize?) my indecision this way: If I am willing to even consider the time, money, energy into the years to become a doc, (10 years with post-bac, med school, and PGY) then it seems worth the 2 years for post-bacc prior to making a final decison. Then it would be a year or two to RN or PA, if I choose that route. And some of the courses I will take are needed for a “1-year RN” or PA. While it will be a little longer than if I jumped directly to RN or PA, I will not have nearly the huge investment of loans and will be quickly up to full wage (as oppose to PGY servitude).
Besides, I still got that Hong Kong Bagel Store as Plan C

My youngest was born at home with a CNM helping out.
If I dont get into medical school (I like having all my options open) I will probable get my BSN and then got to Frontier School of Midwifery.
Marilyn

Andrew our 3rd of 4 was born with a CNM. Lisa was excellent, an OBGYN’s PNP. She was set to deliver Chris, but she went on vacation and he did it instead.
You’ll probably learn enough science to keep you happy anyway. Getting thru medical school is not the end all be all of life. It is either something you do or don’t.
Being a CNM can be just as worthy of a goal and occupation. Besides, being a midwife can be a great contribution to the world. Beats being the Apprentice for Trump.

Quote:

My youngest was born at home with a CNM helping out.
Marilyn

I had two home births attended by CNMs. Now that I am an honest-to-God official MD I feel much more confident dropping that little bomb in gatherings and boy does it quiet the crowd. Gives me an opportunity to do some teaching… I am sure some folks go away shaking their heads and muttering but that is okay with me.
Mary

I would love to see one of those conversations! Thanks for all the support. OPM really is an encouraging place.
Today is my first shift as an EMT (I will be a “third rider” for 40 hours). I have serious butterflies. I had second thoughts about pursuing this job when I made the decision to shift gears, but after filling out an application and realizing that the last paying job I had was a decade ago I decided to go ahead. It will be an insane semester (I am signed up for four classes at local community colleges…3 different ones) and now work. I went to a full week of orientation and the childcare cost more than I was being paid! It will be worth it in the end because I only need to work two shifts each month in order to stay with this company. They will pay for all my CE classes (in fact I got 32 hours of CE credit during my orientation week!). They are helping me get my National certification as an EMT-B along with NH and Maine certification.
PLUS I got this COOL uniform, and I don’t have to run out and buy work clothes yet!
Wish me luck.
Liz