parenting while in school

Hi! I’m new here, contemplating entering a post-bacc program and heading down the road toward an MD or DO. Looking for other parents who are contemplating this/in it/have done it. Am I completely insane? (That’s a bit of a rhetorical question.) Any good resources for people in my shoes? Thanks!

I think that everyone who heads down this path isn’t quite sane. So, that aside, I have been going quarter time to full time for the last year. It’s challenging. It can be done if you have supportive family and friends. People who can take the kids and allow you to have time to study. (I write this while I attempt to make dinner and write a 250 word essay, and keep the twins out of the toilet.)

Lots of people are doing it!! Lots of moms (and dads) on here. Lots of parents who are pre-meds or who are in med school. I posted a lot about this issue when I began the journey and was processing if it was possible. You’re also fortunate, because you have a spouse. It’s definitely doable :slight_smile:

That was really funny!!! It’s gets a bit easier when they are old enough to stay out of the toilet.

• overthemoon Said:
That was really funny!!! It's gets a bit easier when they are old enough to stay out of the toilet.

LOL!!!

I think going to school in general is FAR easier with older kids although I've heard some Moms say differently. I'd guess that the reason I don't agree with that is because I'm a pretty strict disciplinarian, so things like raging hormones and pushing boundries aren't really an issue in our household.

And yes, it's utterly insane!

I’m half-way through with my post-bacc studies while being a mom to 5 kids ranging in age from 7 weeks up to 19.5 years old. I’ve mostly been enrolled full-time, but have some 3/4 time quarters thrown in there as well (like right now since I’ve got a new baby). You can definitely do it, but it might take some juggling as others have pointed out.

Best wishes to you!

One of the toughest things in the world to do, but very doable. You need to have a lot of discipline.

Father of 3 (soon to be 4) here with my oldest being 9 and my youngest 3 (all girls) and in my 3rd year of medical school. I posted how I did this a little while back, if you do a search I am sure that you will find it.

Hard, yup.

Do-able, yup.