Personal Statement

Hi everyone,

I’ve been reading posts on oldpremeds for the past year, finally registered. Thanks for all the help! I am 34, almost finished with a postbacc program, and have been drafting and revising my PS for the last couple months. Would anyone mind reading it and giving me brutally honest feedback? I’d greatly appreciate it and would be more than happy to do the same for anyone else. Thanks, and look forward to participating more in the future.

-Anthony

I wouldn’t mind, I have been working on my own for awhile and will need some feedback soon as well. Some of the best advice i have received is to make your PS as straightforward as possible, describing the moment or circumstance that made you desire a career in medicine. Perhaps some other folks can comment as well?

You don’t want your personal statement to be a chronological recap of all your achievements b/c it will be clear to the admission folks from the rest of your application. Your personal statement should tell a story… it should be unique so that people who read this statement will remember you and will want to meet you!

I think that you said far better than I, what I was getting at was to present a clear image in the personal statement, mine became a bit rambling in nature (much like my other writing). For me, the challenge is present the reasons that I want to return to school instead of continuing to practice as I have done for the last six years. The “why this, why now” issue that seems to come up with some of us.

• madkasia Said:
You don't want your personal statement to be a chronological recap of all your achievements b/c it will be clear to the admission folks from the rest of your application. Your personal statement should tell a story... it should be unique so that people who read this statement will remember you and will want to meet you!

So it is in essence writing about what circumstances have led you to pursue medicine?