phenomenon-ever noticed?

but most others seem to think I’m nuts.

most people in the past who’ve heard me mention that I might pursue med school have rolled their eyes. Like I casually mentioned running for president or maybe being an astronaut. Is it a bragging or maybe not saying in a serious manner kind of thing? I haven’t figured it out, but I keep it to myself, not even family, unless their is a reason to mention it - to the right person.

Well, if I paid attention to that every time it happened, I’d be happier dead.

Don’t worry about it. Go for what you want. Let’s see if they will roll their eyes 10 years from now.

I get one of three reactions:

1. They think I’m nuts (read: irresponsible.) My sister said, “Why can’t you just be a nurse?”

2. They think I’m nuts (read: crazy.) As in, “You work at night, are home schooling your kids, AND going to school?!?”

3. They are totally supportive. So far, my husband and a couple of people at work are the only ones that fit into this category.

I’ve just had to cultivate the attitude that it really doesn’t matter what anyone other than myself and my immediate family thinks.

Ah, yeah, the eye roll. I know it well. It bothered me a lot at first, but you’ll get used to it.

When you tell people you’re pursuing med school, do so with confidence. Brush off the negative responses. The best reaction I’ve gotten thus far is from my friend who’s currently in dentistry school.

As for family members, I understand that, too. My parents, aunts, uncles, etc. didn’t show much support at first. Use that as motivation. Prove them wrong. Let your actions do the talking.

“People can’t do somethin’ themselves, they wanna tell you you can’t do it. If you want somethin’, go get it. Period.”

Yup. It is for precicely this reason that nobody outside my immediate family knows my intent. When acquaintances or other students ask, I just tell them PA school. For some reason, that just seems so much more acceptable or achievable to people than med school. Especially co-workers. I don’t need them calling mr “Doctor” for the rest of my career. I’ll tell everyone when I get accepted somewhere. Otherwise it’s NYDB.

Well, I still haven’t told anyone except my classmates. They are 100% supportive, interested and confident in the belief that my dream is my reality. I haven’t told my immediate friends and family because I know they will attempt to reason me out of my choice. I just hope my friends/family don’t feel betrayed, but pleasantly surprised when I announce my true intentions.

My strategy is Chifan’s: “If you want somethin’, go get it. Period.”

>1. They think I’m nuts (read: irresponsible.) My sister said, “Why can’t you just be a nurse?”

>2. They think I’m nuts (read: crazy.) As in, “You work at night, are home schooling your kids, AND going to school?!?”

>3. They are totally supportive. So far, my husband and a couple of people at work are the only ones that fit into this category.

That sums it up pretty well.

Interestingly, people of little training such as cashiers and CNA’s are more likely to be in category 3, while ancillary professionals such as an O.D., are more likely to be in Cat 2, enumerate the hurdles, and warn me what a biatch organic chemistry is going to be…

Oh man it so good to hear this stuff.

I get weird looks all the time.

“Wait, didn’t you go to school for photography?”

It’s as if they don’t think I have the brains to do anything else or think that’s the only thing that I am capable of. I get a lot of disdain from other artists too for some reason and get heckled by my roommates sometimes. It’s weird, people think that you are trying to one up them or that you don’t have what it takes for some reason.

In full honesty, I don’t feel like I should tell anyone that doesn’t need to know. It’s not worth the hassle trying to explain to them or justify anything.