Plan B?

I have a real dilemma. I graduated with my BA in December, and have my apps in. If I don't make the cut this year, WHAT could I do to improve my application in only a semester and be able to reapply again next cycle? I could probably take more classes as a postgrad, I work almost full time as a nurse, I've volunteered with AED, what else could I do?
Kathy

QUOTE (Kahkeetsee @ Sep 26 2003, 09:57 PM)
I have a real dilemma. I graduated with my BA in December, and have my apps in. If I don't make the cut this year, WHAT could I do to improve my application in only a semester and be able to reapply again next cycle? I could probably take more classes as a postgrad, I work almost full time as a nurse, I've volunteered with AED, what else could I do?
Kathy

Hi Kathy,
If you need a good Plan B, look into doing taking some public health classes. They will enhance your position as a nurse and are attractive to medical schools. They also come in pretty handy once you have finished residency and are looking for a job. You can even look into taking a class or two online so that you don't have to make the trip into a formal classroom. You could bring your laptop on your job and work on your classwork while you are on duty if you are not doing ICU or something heavy. Start looking as some of the online stuff while you wait. By the way, MCAT grades from August do not come out until around October 15th so they may be holding up your application process. smile.gif

Natalie

What a great question! My schoolmates make fun of me because I have talked about my plans B-Z. Plan Z is I move to some remote place and change my name to Isabelle.
My plan is to apply to some physio programs so I can either do that during the glide year and reapply. Of course 2004 is an election year and I may have to go work on a campaign (political campaign work isn't a job, it's an addiction).
Natalie's suggestions sound great and I hope you don't need them but thanks for asking the question.
(Some time ago I posted about my meeting with the GTown physio person and how she told me poor performance in the program would 'ruin my life.' I dreamt last night that happened and I ended up doing something with organic chemistry for the rest of my life. Yuck!)

Natalie,
Thanks for the great suggestion as always. I will check into online programs, which would fit in great with my work, as I do pedi home health nursing. I've been with the same patient for 3 years, work nights, and so, have things pretty easy. (GB feed and meds at 11 and not again until 5am, so all of the time in between is just monitering and occasional trach suctioning!) I also hope not to need a Plan B but want to hit the ground running if that becomes the case. I suspect most schools are waiting for my August MCAT, so I've been breathing DEEPLY and taking it day by day.
Kathy
PS. Rachel, I guess Plan Z for me would be to move to Bangladesh and change my name to Zainab!