Please allow me to...

…introduce myself.

I just joined the board after spending months as a spectator. All of your thoughtful and insightful posts proved to me it was time to become a member. I look forward to working with all of you as we aspire to reach the same goal.

On that note, below is a little bit more about myself. Given my experiences, I hope I can be a resource to some of you. Moreover, I would be grateful to any of you who can look at my “history” and provide recommendations or feedback (e.g. “give up buddy, you aint got a chance…”)

I’m probably a medical school long shot. Typical story: immaturity, yada yada yada, left me with a horrendous college GPA (2.84 cum; 2.26 BCPM).

Since receiving my B.A. ~7 years ago, I’ve had some success: I spent a couple of years at the NIH where my name made it onto a landmark publication. Since the NIH, I’ve been in industry (healthcare consulting) where I quickly advanced to a managerial role.

I’m enrolled in a post bacc program where I’m retaking all med school pre-reqs; I’ve got 4 classes under my belt. Working full time, I don’t expect to be done for at least another year.

With double majors in college, I left myself with a seemingly insurmountable number of credits. Sadly, even if I continue to get perfect post bacc grades, the highest GPA I’ll be able to pull off is 3.1 cum / 2.8 BCPM. I guess my only potential saving grace is the MCAT, which I don’t plan to take until I’ve completed the post bacc curriculum.

I volunteer (~10 hrs/month) at a local free clinic; a fantastic experience that I will continue independent of any future in medicine… This summer, I’m taking a break from post bacc to enroll in “Beginner Spanish,” which should come in handy at the clinic.

Alright, enough for now. I hope to hear back from some of you…

Thanks.

Welcome to OPM, you are among kindred spirits.

Your story is not unlike many of us. Where we have baggage. The important thing is that you keep looking forward and never look behind you because there is nothing you can do about it.

Good luck and keep posting. Search the forums because you will always find a person who has “been there, done that”.

• gabelerman Said:
Welcome to OPM, you are among kindred spirits.

Your story is not unlike many of us. Where we have baggage. The important thing is that you keep looking forward and never look behind you because there is nothing you can do about it.

"Baggage!?! Baggage!?! we don't need no stinkin' Baggage!! (with apologies to John Houston and Humphrey Bogart)

• gabelerman Said:
Good luck and keep posting. Search the forums because you will always find a person who has "been there, done that".

You'll probably find a few with "been there, done that, burned the negatives"

welcome! I have found this place invaluable for inspiration and advice as I went through the non-trad route, dragging my baggage along the way. I’m a fellow Bay Area, CA old premed. Good luck!