post-bac now? later? need some urgent advice

Whew. Ok, here goes.

I’m in a predicament deciding exactly when to get my post-bac work completed. I have felt since I was very young that medicine would be what I eventually go into, but I let pre-med go in college to focus on what I love to study - humanities and theatre. I told myself I could always go back to medicine after college.

Now, here we are. I graduated from Yale in May 2008, and took the year off to do some theatre/work in Austin, but the year wasn’t fulfilling and left me missing something; there wasn’t much theatre here to begin with, so I floated between a few jobs, got calculus done at UT in the spring, etc.

I am back in Austin this fall, strongly considering just getting all of the post-bac work out of the way now in case I return to medicine in a few years. I am enrolled as a student now, but haven’t formally registered. My other option now is to take that year or so that I really wanted, move to San Fran, Chicago, etc, and do theatre for awhile! Perhaps even a year or two graduate school program.

Would it be better for me to get the post-bac requirements out of the way this year (I can do it in a year with the work I’ve previously done), or to wait until I’ve done other things? I’m very nervous about waiting because that would entail two years before I even enter med school - a year of post-bac, and a year of interviewing/applying - and I also am not sure what I’ll do with the year if I’m wide open to anything.

So - go with the rationality of getting it done now, or throw caution to the wind, do what I love for awhile (basically follow my intuition) and return to it later, even though it would add two more years?

Thanks to anyone who replies! I’ve been turning this decision over in my head for literally months, and have thought about it so much that new perspectives would be more than welcome.

Cheers!

Any advice? Anyone in a similar situation? Thank you so much!

Emerald,

Pardon my “new york city” bluntness, but I am going to guess that if graduated college in 2008 that your, for all intents and purposes, a kid. On this web site, that qualifies as under 30 and you’re probably under 25. An extra year or two will not matter in the long run

Also, if you are still pursuing the dream of theatre it maybe best to wait on postbacc. I think an focus that your simply want to get it out of the way is perhaps not the best mindset to be in. Also, if you get the PB and then go back into theatre while applying and then interviewing, that may appear to admission committee as less than fully committed to becoming a physician

• In reply to:
I let pre-med go in college to focus on what I love to study - humanities and theatre.

Don't do premed until you know there isn't anything else you want to do. IMO, it doesn't make sense to pursue a road so long and difficult without single-minded focus. You'll need it.

Pursue what you love. Period. If your love changes to medicine, then do it, but not before. Maybe it would make sense for you to do some work in a hospital, see if you know any doctors you can shadow for a day, to see if it's something you're truly interested in and could fall in love with, rather than taking classes to "get it out of the way." I'm sure you're smart enough to get through it, but you won't see your true potential unless you are totally focused on medicine. Why pay for tuition, get B's and do all these other things and be unfocused and confused, which admissions people will totally see through, when you could get A's, get exposure to medical settings and be focused, thus being a truly viable candidate for med school?
  • In reply to:
Pardon my "new york city" bluntness, but I am going to guess that if graduated college in 2008 that your, for all intents and purposes, a kid. On this web site, that qualifies as under 30 and you're probably under 25. An extra year or two will not matter in the long run

Seriously !! LOL

I think it's quarter-life crisis that makes a 25yo feel like they have to make all these decisions. I totally understand, bc I felt the same at that age. I'm 35 and have become all about taking it a step at a time, and don't take very seriously all these pressures of "at this age, I need to be doing this or that..."

This is a very personal decision, but I’d say take the year and explore theater! The post-bacc studies will still be there when you’re more ready to commit to them. At this time, it seems like your heart is really into theater, and I think it would be a shame to not nurture that passion while you have it. Also, you will need to take the MCAT exam to apply to schools (all except a few Caribbean) so by waiting to take your pre-reqs the knowledge will be fresh as you prepare for the exam.

Best wishes in whatever you decide! And if you choose to pursue theater, please keep visiting and keep us updated, as well as letting us know where we might be able to catch you on stage!

Thank you so much, all. I will be making my decision this evening, and I appreciate your responses so, so much - and minan, you totally hit it right on the head with the quarter life crisis thing - the pressure has been ridiculous. Thanks again, will update tomorrow!!

Emerald: Take it from us though, the pressures of the quarter life crisis are an illusion. You have so much time ahead of you, and the difficulties you’re facing are really only a result of social pressures that are usually based on, IMO, unrealistic expectations.

It’s healthier IMO to adjust our expectations so that they are still high, but realistic… that’s key no matter what age you are. You can only do that, by being honest and getting to truly know yourself. Pay attention to what it is you love, and open yourself to experiences that allow you to find out what else it is you might love (like medicine).

Best of luck.

• emerald56 Said:
Thank you so much, all. I will be making my decision this evening, and I appreciate your responses so, so much - and minan, you totally hit it right on the head with the quarter life crisis thing - the pressure has been ridiculous. Thanks again, will update tomorrow!!

Just wait until you get to the half-century life crisis which I am handling just fine. In fact I sleep like a baby: waking up every two hours and crying for my mother!

HAHA and third of a century crisis isn’t so bad either, I just smile really hard and deny it all … lol